1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Need some help overcoming fear - TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Oscar, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Oscar

Oscar Newcomer

Hi all, this is my 2nd post in this forum.

Some background:
    - male, 35 years old
    - pretty active in the gym
    - hurt low back in the past, but healed, got some tweak here and there
    - overall, never really concerned about it and just enjoying life

several weeks ago I decide to consult a doctor, of why I have several flare ups throughout the year. He ordered me to do MRI. MRI showed disc bulge at L4, and herniated disc at L5-S1 with pinched nerve. Doctor did some test (pressing the area, flexibility test etc) said that I was fine and there is no activities restriction. I don't even remember when I had herniated disc...might be 4-5 years ago when I hurt my back in the gym.

However, after seeing the MRI, I become afraid, fear of movement, and start avoiding certain exercises in the gym. and after that experiencing some leg pain. and it seems like the MRI result really sink in my mind...I become more afraid. then I found this forum and Dr. Sarno's book.

The pain also seems to move around, like yesterday - feeling pretty good in the morning, then right lumbar/buttocks become painful in the afternoon. Going to the gym in the evening doing squats and pull ups (no pain, but back felt uncomfortable). Strangely, the pain in the right lumbar gone after going home, but now the left lumbar/buttock start to ache. Felt good at night up until bedtime. pain is minimal and overall felt pretty good. I even talk to myself "wow, my back feel good" then go to bed.

this morning, back pain returned. nothing excruciating (still can workout without pain) but enough to keep me scared. leg pain seems to subside, but the back pain are more prevalent. is this TMS? and what to do to overcoming fear? (fear that I might hurt my back with working out, fear that I might blow out my disc etc)

any advise is appreciated. thanks!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

3. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

[Deleted at BeWell's request]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2016
  4. Oscar

Oscar Newcomer

Hi BeWell,

thanks for the encouraging words! I really appreciate it

5. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

6. pspa

pspa Well known member

If a (presumably) conventional doctor is telling you you are fine despite your MRI findings, that is about as good as it gets, no? The problem people usually have with conventional doctors of course is that they falsely ascribe pain to structural findings that may not be the real source of pain. I would think this doctor is better able to assess your MRI than you are and if he or she is saying don't worry about it, that's about the greenest light you could ever get. You may be creating your own issue from fear and tension.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  7. Oscar

Oscar Newcomer

Hi Fred & pspa,

thanks for the reply! To be honest I'm also surprised the doc said that. He explained that my body already adapt and no further intervention is necessary. he only prescibed OTC medicine for flare ups only and said I can do anything I want as long as I used common sense LOL.

I guess I am really a worrywart (all the people around me said that to me) even if I get assurance I will still think "what if"...that kinda thing.

Once again, I really thank you all for the reply! this really make me feel a big burden has been lifted from my head...I will also try not to focused on the pain so much..

8. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

"I guess I am really a worrywart (all the people around me said that to me) even if I get assurance I will still think "what if"...that kinda thing."

Worrying is a very common personality trait among TMSers. Almost all my new clients rate it 8,9, or 10 on a scale of 1-10.

One of my clients who rated his worrying a 10, when I first started working with him, had four MRIs done. Each time the MRI results did not show anything significant, but he just kept worrying anytime he felt a twinge in his back.

I gave him simple steps to follow. After 3 sessions of coaching not only his back pain was almost completely gone, his worrying level was down to 3 and he stopped the MRI obsession!

Tennis Tom likes this.