1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Need Reassurance/Emotional Support

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by taylordod, Jun 24, 2019.

1. taylordod

taylordod Newcomer

So a few days ago, I discovered Dr. Sarno and his approach to bodily medicine and was honestly blown away. I've been out of commission for two months now due to what I thought was some form of chronic RSI in my arms and hands (though I could also feel it in my back and neck some days). The left arm was a mystery, but I believed the right arm had some form of cubital tunnel, though any concrete symptoms of this didn't pop up until a month in, after a quick doctor's visit and several trips to PT. I haven't had any x-rays or extensive tests.

Thankfully it rarely dips into pain, but I do get tenseness, hand weakness, nerve tingling and inflammation like it's no one's business. However, since I've started watching testimonials and reading The Divided Mind, a lot of the pain and discomfort has lifted. Whereas before, I wouldn't dare to even pick up a pen, now I've gone back to drawing for hours and hours because I'm told I won't ruin myself. I really do believe this, as I'll forget about any of the oddities in my hands when working on a piece. I even plan to look into getting my old job back tomorrow, which is what I initially believed caused this in the first place.

However, I hit a road block when I decided to try and visit the gym again. I prepared myself for anything my body could throw at me, and even watched a few more testimonials to hype myself up before going in. Running went fine thankfully (the whole reason I stopped initially was because I thought I'd gained chronic sciatica about a year ago). but the moment I tried to curl a dumbbell, my right elbow let out a loud pop. I waited. Did it again. Same result. No pain, but it definitely felt like something was moving in and out of place. I was reasonably horrified, but forced myself to finish my reps before leaving in a panic. I suppose my one last fear and doubt in all of this is that all of the pain is caused by TMS, except for my elbow. I fear that something is caught up in there and I'll have to either get a surgery I can't afford, or will somehow lose all ability to use my right arm because of how I'm pushing it. Does anyone else ever feel like something is moving in and out of place with TMS? Is this something the brain can do? I'm typing this now and still drawing, but the thought of going back to the gym literally gives me the chills right now.

Thank You,
    -T

2. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr. Sarno wrote that popping noises are harmless. Usually a release of air between joints/bones. The fear will keep symptoms happening. Being constantly aware and watching to make "sure" you're okay will keep symptoms happening.
    You've had great success already. Like most of us TMS'rs, your brain is looking for something new to worry about.
    I'm guessing your bones are moving a bit, if you haven't been to the gym in months. Probably the muscles are trying to amp up, again.
    Fear not. You're doing great.

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @taylordod,

Welcome, and congratulations for finding Dr. Sarno and embracing TMS! I agree with Marcia, but I'm wondering if perhaps you could buy an hour of time from a personal trainer? They know their body mechanics, and could reassure you, and make suggestions to properly ease back into a full exercise program. I pay for a personal trainer every week, because I would not otherwise push myself, and she started me out slowly so I could gain back my confidence. Compared to what I used to spend on the chiropractor, various physical therapists, and alternative treatments, it's a bargain!

4. taylordod

taylordod Newcomer

Thank you for this! I'm so sorry for the late reply, but this really helped me through the rough first week of learning to accept the concept of TMS. Since then, I've been doing great, resuming activities and journaling everyday! Most of my pain is gone and I forget I ever had it most days, so thank you so much again!

MWsunin12 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  5. taylordod

taylordod Newcomer

Sorry for the late reply! Getting a personal trainer is definitely something I'll look into when I'm able to get my savings recovered, but I feel I won't need one thankfully. Since this post, I've been going to the gym with less and less difficulty everyday. Last time, my symptoms even swapped arms mid workout, which I found hilarious and reassuring. Thank you for the advice and support!

-T

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
    You gotta love it, right? Great work, keep it up!

MWsunin12 likes this.