1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Need a break - I mean from everything?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Beach-Girl, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Hello TMS Friends:

As many of you know I'm very into animals and their environment. I highly recommend this site. It's an eagles nest in Decorah Iowa. They have a few high def cameras that make the site - of these nesting eagles and their young actually kind of addicting. I watched them onscreen all last year, and last night the third of this season's eaglets was hatched. Now their little family is ready to grow and provide some great sites you wouldn't see anywhere else.

It's really lovely to get lost in their world for a few minutes (hours) rather than our own. And we can learn from them. Nature is one of our best teachers.

Hope you like it as much as I do.

BG

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

You might like to learn that there are a pair of Bald Eagles nesting in a tree next to Crystal Spring Reservoir about 5 miles from my house on the San Francisco Peninsula. Wouldn't be so amazing, except there haven't been any bald eagles near here in almost 100 years! You ban DDT and their eggs have thicker shells and lower chic mortality rates. The same is true of Peregrine Falcons, which are making a big come back here too, both in the wild and on buildings in downtown San Jose, with almost 100 actively breeding pairs in the SF Bay Area. Again, no DDT, many more chics surviving to adulthood.

3. Beach-Girl

That is awesome new MorComm!

We have many nesting eagles here too, I but haven't seen an actual nest. I have witnessed a rabbit who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Eagle just swooped in silently, grabbed him, and kept on rolling up the stream that heads to dense woods. Beautiful sight. There is a predator/prey agreement in nature, so my heart went out to the the rabbit for a moment, but I knew more of these magnificent birds would be living among us. And there were so many rabbits in the park they had become a tourist attraction. Kinda funny since a few had originally escaped from a local family and mated like crazy with the wild rabbits. Everybody thought it was just great. It had become a local tourist attraction until the eagles found it. Still have a few rabbits living there.

Needless to say since our bald eagle friends have taken up residence further up the stream, the park isn't known for rabbits anymore.

Many mornings I see them in the rocks above the beach, looking for fish - their favorite!

BG

4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, Beachy, Crystal Springs Reservoir is the primary water source from the city of San Francisco and is in a watershed where fishing and hunting are prohibited: a people-free zone if you will. Well, there are huge trout in the reservoir and the eagles have found themselves an excellent spot to nest in an old tree near the water. There's one place along a freeway where you can see the birds and now it's filled with bird-watchers with telescopes. They must be eatting those 24-inch Rainbows that thrive in the water that is brought down from the Sierra. The eagles were introduced 50 miles to the south near Santa Cruz some twenty years ago and now they've migrated north to a good spot. There will be more there no doubt.

5. Rinkey

Rinkey Peer Supporter

BG- we watched the Decorah eagles all last year and are glued to the monitor again this year!
    Great fun to watch them as they grow! Thanks for sharing the link.

6. Beach-Girl

Rinkey - have them on all the time. Feels like "deja-vu" with these new eaglets. I watched them all last year too. Loved "E3". And the cameras are higher quality this year!

BG