1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

My TMS Story - Fatigue, IBS, and More (First Post)

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by MindMood, Jun 29, 2019.

1. MindMood

MindMood New Member

Hello.

I've been reading this website & forum for several months now. Several weeks ago, I created an account so that I can participate in Saturday drop-in chats. I feel it's time for me to tell my story and engaging in the forum / community.

I first discovered Dr. Sarno's work in Feb or March of this year. It was through this post from Psychology Today.

I've been dealing with many symptoms for a very long time. One of the most difficult has been extreme fatigue. This has been going on for about 13 years.

My other symptoms include: IBS, flu-like symptoms, physical pain (arms, legs, back, etc.), depression, anxiety, OCD, hemorrhoids, and dry eyes.

Since March, I've been listening and registering to Sarno's books (audiobooks): The Divided Mind, The Mindbody Prescription, and Healing Back Pain. I've also been listening to Hope & Help for your Nerves.

After finishing The Divided Mind, I made my list of things that could be contributing to TMS & equivalent symptoms. Since then, I've been writing essays on the major items on my list.

I've also been journaling regularly.

I've been seeing a therapist for many years. I've been seeing my current therapist for a couple of years now. He was not familiar with Sarno's work, so I gave him the background, and I pointed him toward some resources on the web. He acknowledges the significance of the mindbody connection. During each appointment, I've been discussing my progress in following Dr. Sarno's treatment plan. I also read some of my essays and journal entries to him.

I was very optimistic when I started the program in March. Since then, I've had my ups and downs.

My IBS has improved significantly. It flares up occasionally when I get very stressed out and/or binge eat.

Depression and anxiety have improved, but they are still very difficult to deal with.

Extreme chronic fatigue is the most challenging symptom, and it is the one for which I've seen the least improvement.

There is no doubt that I have the typical TMS personality traits: Perfectionism, goodism, self-esteem issues, and rage.

I know I'm on the right path. But I still get frustrated and discouraged sometimes. But I won't give up. As somebody said during the TMS drop-in chat today, "One step at a time, forward more often than back!”

2. Yehonatan79

Yehonatan79 New Member

Hi MindMode !

I have just read your post .
    First thing I want to tell you is that I admire your tolerance and determination to deal with this situation.
    I experience the same symptoms as you describe for "Only" two years .
    I'll say that I tries many dietary supplements, alternative therapy, and therapists. none of them improved my symptoms until i started to TMS program.
    I have been doing it for 2 month now and I do experience some progress... I guess it is one step at the time.
    I believe that time will heal.

Good luck !

MindMood likes this.