1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

My suggestible mind

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by MWsunin12, Feb 12, 2017.

1. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm curious to know if this is an issue for anyone else.

I hesitate to read other's posts that include symptoms, because if it's at all relatable I will find myself feeling similar symptoms, sometimes the next hour!!

I am trying to figure out why my mind is so suggestible and latches on to things that negatively affect my well-being? It makes me feel weak-minded that I so easily absorb downer possibilities.

I know Steve Ozanich wrote that even when he was writing about dry eyes, he got very dry eyes. So, I guess it's not uncommon.

I'm interested to know if there's a way to condition our minds away from suggestibility. I don't want to do the avoidance thing, like avoiding hearing other people's stories, because that's tied in to fear once again.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Lunarlass66 likes this.
  2. Duggit

Duggit Well known member

Second-year Medical Student Syndrome is a long-recognized tendency of some students to experience the symptoms of a disease they are studying. Perhaps not a lot different from a father-to-be experiencing pregnancy symptoms. All a testament to the mind-body connection.

Lunarlass66 and MWsunin12 like this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Yea, it is very common. I just laugh at it, and say to my brain, "Really? This is just ridiculous! Knock it off!" It usually goes away when I shift my focus away from it.

MWsunin12 and Lunarlass66 like this.
  4. Duggit

Duggit Well known member

Dr. Hanscom's Back in Control Blog posts used to be regularly reposted in the Mindbody Blogs forum here. For some reason that is no longer the case. Hanscom has a post describing how he teaches patients to shift focus. He calls it Active Meditation. I prefer to use an approach similar to Ellen's, but Hancom's Active Meditation might be useful to some people with TMS. It can be found by copying the following into a Google search: http://www.backincontrolcw.com/the-4-stages/stage-1-laying-the-foundation/start-active-meditation/ (Active Meditation – Back in Control)

Ellen and MWsunin12 like this.