1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

My Success Story

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by pshanahan, Apr 20, 2016.

1. pshanahan

pshanahan New Member

Hi all, I thought I would share how I have battled and beaten TMS (or Mind Body Syndrome).

History:
    Suffered a back injury in 2005 from back squatting. Diagnosed as a bulged disc, told these never heal and would play up from time to time for the rest of my life. Over the next ten years I had discomfort and was scared to undertake activities due to fear of injury. I threw my back out multiple times, sometime flooring me for weeks. I love fitness and lifting weights and throwing my back out annoyed me. I was scared I would never be able to function properly again.

Hearing about TMS (MBS):
    I frequent internet strength training forums and read about someone curing their back pain by following Dr Sarno's book and implementing his techniques. I immediately googled and read everything I could on him and his work. I reached out on this forum and Alan Gordon put me in contact with a colleague of his who told me about Howard Schubiner and his book Unlearn Your Pain. He calls TMS mind body syndrome (MBS).

Plan for Success:
    I purchased Unlearn Your Pain, read it thoroughly, and commenced the exercises. Takes about one hour a day for 30 days. I emailed Howard and he was very helpful. Nothing happened at first. I finished the course and was not cured. A week later the pain in my lower back was gone. I have been able to deadlift, squat, handstand, run, lift weights ever since.

Alongside undertaking the Unlearn Your Pain, I read a book called "What to say when you talk to yourself" by Shad Hemstetter. Upon reading this I downloaded an app called "Recorder" from the App store (https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/voice-recorder-free/id685310398?mt=8 (Voice Recorder (FREE) on the App Store)). I record my own voice saying:

"I'm ok. My back is strong and healthy. I can do anything I want. My back is normal. I'm not broken."

I went to the settings on the app and made it play on a continuous loop. And listened to it on the way to work, on lunch, on the way home from work, any time I felt a twinge or some kind of uncomfort in my back, driving (not with headphones), just in the back ground of everyday life. This for me was the key to reprogramme my subconscious.

Summary:
    1. Buy Unlearn Your Pain by Howard Schubiner - great book and explanations
    2. Do the exercises as described consistently and diligently.
    3. Download the Recorder App
    4. Record your own voice (this is key I think) with your affirmation.
    5. Keep doing it consistently.
    Pat

tgirl, Ines, Ellen and 3 others like this.
  2. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

You overcame your fear of perceived physical vulnerability imparted incorrectly on you by the medical community, educated and empowered yourself through to recovery. Well done!

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Pat,
    Thank you for your wonderful story. I like the part where you go through the whole program, diligently, and get no results, and 'wham,' it kicks in. I hope this will give others courage and persistence. I also appreciate how each person's journey is unique. Congratulations for doing the work, and getting results.
    Andy B

4. Ines

Ines Well known member

Thank you for sharing your st0ry. Good job sticking to it and thank you for the tips.