1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 My progress so far

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by valerie, May 1, 2013.

1. valerie

valerie Peer Supporter

I read Dr. Sarno's Healing Back Pain book about 10 days ago and found this forum a few days later. My experience so far has been amazing. I had been suffering from back/leg pain for six months, since the day after I returned from my honeymoon. I had tried everything, physical therapy, acupuncture, myofascial release, cortisone shots. I had an MRI, a hip XRay and an exploratory injection in my SI joint. I'd been taking strong ibuprofen, muscle relaxant and percocets/narcos for sometime, at one point I tried these crazy pain patches that made me alternate between sleeping and barfing. I guess that at least was a bit too far for me and I stopped taking those after a couple of days.
    Right before I read the book I had stopped taking the Norco because it wasn't helping and I would rather drink wine anyway. Now I stopped taking everything else, cancelled physical therapy and all my upcoming doctor appts. I lost 5 pounds after I stopped taking the drugs, I'm glad I quit them before they did too much more damage.
    I think it was lucky for me that I found Dr. Sarno when I did; I think even a couple of months ago I would still be skeptical but it was at the right time. I was at the point where the next step was a nerve study to figure out what was causing my leg pain, and I was not looking forward to that at all.
    So far I started walking again, signed up for swimming lessons that I had been putting off, and in general I feel tons better. I still have some lingering pain in my knee but it doesn't seem to stop me or scare me anymore, so I'm hopeful with time it will just go away. My husband is happy to have me back.
    One thing that I loved that I haven't done since last June is ride my road bike. for the last two years I've done a century bike ride each June and this year my husband is doing it without me which sucks. I hope to get back on my bike very soon!
    Thanks to everyone for making this forum, it is so amazing to have a resource like this.

2. Max

Max Peer Supporter

Valerie. Well done, and exercise is great for breaking out and convincing your mind there is nothing to fear. I have taken up swimming recently. At first it was very tough, and I didn't enjoy it. It is very difficult to overcome fear.Swimming is wonderful and safe. You can't hurt yourself, if done properly, as you are not weight bearing. Go for it, and set yourself some personal goals. I now swim every other day, and I will NOT stop until fit and healthy again. Good luck, and keep it up. :)