1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

My first forum post

Discussion in 'Alan Gordon TMS Recovery Program' started by 77golddust, Oct 2, 2013.

1. 77golddust

77golddust New Member

Hi TMSers,
    I have got 'RSI' in my right arm, which started up in the summer of 2012 but really intensified this May after a particularly stressful period at home and at work. I have been seeing a physiotherapist since then, who was actually great, but I also got some books and looked at some blogs about RSI and discovered Dr Sarno's work and the whole psychological side to this. After three months, my physio said that the actual physical injury (and I still can't quite decide whether there was one, and have decided it doesn't really matter) was now healed and I wasn't damaging my arm. At this point I had an epiphany and went back and read Dr Sarno's books - the 'Prescription' one and the more recent one. These were very helpful and started to change my thinking about things. But the pain came and went, and I felt I needed some structure, and amazingly I discovered this website at that point. I have been working my way gradually through the Alan Gordon recovery program, which is great, and the day-by-day one, which is good because it is finally getting me past just thinking about issues and jotting down a few brief notes, to doing some real journalling. I now realise that my RSI pain is related to my longstanding sleep issues, issues with worry and anxiety of various forms, and past experiences of IBS and probably some other physical manifestations of psychological issues. Okay, so that was all rather long-winded, but I am new to the whole forum thing and really want to feel like I am connecting with a community of people who have been there. I feel like I am reinventing my whole life, because for me the TMS is clearly linked to three areas - childhood experiences, including bullying, relationship issues, and attitudes about work. I feel I am making progress but it is two steps up and one step back. I am just trying to gradually work my way through these programs and am also reading some CBT stuff for my worry/ anxiety issues. By the way, I find my pain gets worse when I am journalling and writing things like this right now. I seem to remember Dr Sarno mentioning that . Has anyone else had that happen? Any advice on how to best use the forum and where to go from here?
    thanks,
    77 golddust

2. 77golddust

77golddust New Member

Follow-up. Three questions about journalling and recovery.
    1) Have you had experiences with increased pain due to becoming more aware of issues? These have been not just arm pain but also stomach and headaches. Should I expect this to subside as I do more recovery work?
    2) How did you know which subjects to journal about?
    3) Did many of you find it necessary to speak to a therapist in person?
    Thanks!

3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi 77golddust nice to see you here. Sounds like your on the right track with the Alan Gordon program and the SEP.
    You should do just fine.
    Im going to answer your questions above so you can get a clear view from a person who's been there.

1) Yes when I started to understand tms healing my symptoms increased dramatically,
    I think almost everyone's does so know this is just the tms trying to fight its fight. just don't give in and you will win.

2) I journaled about all the things I was experiencing in the present at first, journaling has a way of showing you in written form what your mind is trying to hide from you. I've journaled about all the stressful situations in my life and any tense situations. All the strains of life I've journaled about too but I've also journaled about happy times too so when I get to frustrated from any tense journaling then ill read happy journaling to get me through. Alan Gordon's evidence sheet should be of good help to you. You can find out about it here- http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/the-benefit-of-an-evidence-sheet.2292/

3) I didn't need to speak to a therapist as I have studied mind and body for over 20 yrs.
    Although if you do need a therapist you will be able to find some great ones right here at this forum.
    How long have you been on your journey? Thanks.

Ps. Congratulations on your victory story above, you've got rid of it before- you can get rid of it again and more permanently too.
    Stay patient and have fun in your recovery. You've done great recognizing the emotional and pain connection.

4. nancy

nancy Well known member

Thanks Herbie, that's what I needed at this time. I have read most all that you have expressed, very
    good advice. I live in TN and would love to talk to you. I have awful leg and back pain. I know it is TMS.
    Thanks, Nancy

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello neighbor it nice to see you here. Im glad my advice is helping
    its the way I did things and came out healed pretty good
    ill write to you later my email so we talk ok.
    ill also give you my number there so we can chat some over the phone too
    Stay with your protocol and take it as serious as you can
    Till then.
    God bless

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

77GoldDust wrote:

Follow-up. Three questions about journalling and recovery.

1) Have you had experiences with increased pain due to becoming more aware of issues? These have been not just arm pain but also stomach and headaches. Should I expect this to subside as I do more recovery work?

Walt: TMS-caused pain tends to move around. When our unconscious mind knows we believe we have found a repressed emotion, it sometimes sends pain somewhere else in our body. I do believe the pains in the stomach or headaches will go away the more you try to learn what your repressed emotions are. But Dr. Sarno says not to worry about discovering the pain-causing repressed emotions because your unconscious mind already knows what they are. Just believe yourself that your pains/headaches are from TMS.

2) How did you know which subjects to journal about?

Walt: Dr. Sarno, Steve Ozanich, and others say most of our repressed emotions go back to our childhood, and recent situations can "trigger" those long-repressed emotions to cause TMS pain.

3) Did many of you find it necessary to speak to a therapist in person?
    Thanks!

Walt: I never spoke to a therapist on the phone or in person. I think we just need to talk to ourselves or journal about the people
    or situations that give us headaches or pain.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.