1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

My dysarthria story

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Steven, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Steven

Steven New Member

Because of the classic predisposing personality traits, I have had many episodes of various manifestations of TMS over many years. I seem to be prone to some of the “odder” TMS manifestations. Prior to now, the most intense was a severe burning sensation in the sacrum and buttocks area when sitting, starting about 10 years ago. This lasted 3 years until I sort of accidentally learned about Dr. Sarno, and 6 weeks later I was cured, without recurrence of that symptom to this day. I have had a variety of other more typical, manageable, and fairly brief manifestations over the years.
    But now I have developed the sudden onset of obvious and fairly constant slurring of speech (dysarthria), which has been very frightening, especially since this is mentioned little in the TMS literature. I guess I’m not 100% sure that it’s TMS, but after negative neurologic testing, and realizing the stressful situation during which it started, and my learning from before, I’m betting it is. It’s frustrating and embarrassing in my public position as a physician and hospital leader. I’m starting the Structured Educational Program with day 1 today, as well as reading from Dr. Sarno’s books every day. I’m hoping in a few weeks to be cured again.
    This website was not present 10 years ago that I know of, and I certainly appreciate the enormous amount of work you all have done.

Livvygurl likes this.
  2. Livvygurl

Livvygurl Well known member

We are totally here for you on your healing journey! Sounds like you are really doing the work that is required to heal from TMS. Reading is key and the Structured Program sounds good, I am going to try it soon. I just wrote my TMS Story and am going to post it soon!

All the BEst,

Livvy ~

3. Steven

Steven New Member

Wow, I'm shocked by the fact that the words "We are totally here for you on your healing journey", written by a complete stranger, have brought tears to my eyes. Thank you very kindly.

JanAtheCPA and Livvygurl like this.
  4. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Welcome, Steven!

Well, my TMS doctor has had TMS himself and this made me feel better as his patient. In the beginning I used to feel embarrassed about TMS and angry at myself for having wasted time on other treatments that did nothing. That shame is just part of TMS itself and probably something all people feel at one time or another.

This is a really great community of people and has been a big part of my own healing journey (I've been here since January, I would say I'm 90% recovered and I have many pain free days now). Looking forward to seeing you around here, Steven.

Be kind to yourself!

~ Veronica

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Steven,

One of the best parts of the Peer Network is that we've been there before and can share our stories. When I was recovering I found that just sharing my story was really helpful in accepting the diagnosis and learning about TMS.

It is great that you have been able to recover from TMS before. Use this as confidence that this approach will work again. There is always a chance that TMS symptoms will pop up. The important thing is how we respond to it. We can either respond by being afraid or can understand its psychological causes and overcome it quickly.

Speech problems and slurring can be frightening, but you can overcome it. There are a couple pages about speech problems. Check out The King's Speech as Mindbody Syndrome.

The first step to recovery is always believing and accepting that your symptom(s) is TMS. You can achieve this by educating yourself about TMS. If you have any questions at all feel free to ask, and remember you are in the right place.

Best,

Forest

yb44 likes this.
  6. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

I find it fascinating looking at the variety of symptoms we get and their particular relevance to our jobs and our lives. I too have manageable forms of TMS. These are the symptoms that don't really bother us and are easily ignored. The ones we can't ignore are the pain symptoms that knock us off our feet and the ones that seem to prevent us from enjoying activities or being effective at our work.

People who need to type for a living get RSI symptoms. People who have to be on their feet all day experience pains in their feet and legs. People who have to talk are thwarted by symptoms such as the one you describe. I have always needed my voice for the work I do. I went through a phase where I would start to choke every time I had to speak to a client. I also suffered from chronic migraines which would affect my speech. Double whammy. Without the ability to speak, I really couldn't do my job. It was embarrassing and frustrating as you say. I would start to worry and catastrophise. This made my symptoms worse.

I am sure you will benefit from the wealth of information on the wiki and receive continued support from forum members.

Livvygurl and JanAtheCPA like this.
  7. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Steven, and welcome!

I have to tell you, when you said "I'm shocked by the fact that the words "We are totally here for you on your healing journey", written by a complete stranger, have brought tears to my eyes" I had the same reaction - because you trusted us, and yourself, enough to be able to express that openly.

What's interesting for me is that recently, the core human issue of isolation keeps coming back to hit me (gently) between the eyes, each time reminding me to keep looking at it. Thank you for yet another "hit" :^)

For me, it took a huge leap of something - faith? courage? to post to this group last fall when I found the Education Program, because I'd never joined an online group in many years of internet browsing. The genuine warmth and positive support that I received blew me away. This community is now an important part of my life and of course my TMS journey. I learn something new every time I'm here, and I love interacting with people who have become friends, and with new acquaintances from all over the world.

Keep us posted,

Jan