1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Muscle twitching/spasm

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Max, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Max

Max Peer Supporter

Hi all, I,m presently experiencing some strange sensations where the pain is moving around the body. I understand what is happenning there, and believe that is a good sign where I am starting to make some positive in roads towards defeating the TMS. However, of late I,m also now experiencing some quite odd muscular twitches which are not painful, where the muscle kinda jumps or twiches below the surface of the skin, particularly in my upper back and legs? Does anyone have any experience of this, or is it just another manifestation of TMS?

2. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Hi Max:

Welcome to the forum. I too am having pain that's moving around which is oddly exciting. I have a weird thing going on with my left eye. If I talk about TMS too much, it starts to black out. I believe it's TMS. As to the twitching, my eyelids have twitched for a long time. And now that you mention it, I bet it's related to anxiety of sorts and of course, TMS. Do you have anxiety issues that go along with this like so many others?

I guess you kinda go with it and be thankful it's not painful. The mind is so powerful over our bodies. Mine is really fighting the change. It likes the pain that has been parked in my lower back now for years. But ever so slowly - I'm making progress. Example: I woke up last week and my neck hurt so bad I couldn't look to my left. Still is that way. Ugh.

Anyway - keep posting and again welcome aboard!

BG

3. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

The back of my left leg - the same one where I broke my heal in 1989-90 - twitches the same way you describe in your post. I later developed TMS (2001) on that same side a little while after the death of my mother. I'd say the pain pathways in my brain are always available on that side. All that's needed is a little emotional or physical trauma to trigger it. I notice now that as my TMS subsides, the twitching has gone down a whole lot. It just seems like the original trauma of the original injury has left an indelible imprint in my central nervous system that can be triggered due to various stressors. Seems that Peter Levine is right in Waking the Tiger, you have to renegotiate and discharge the energy left over from that original traumatic accident, otherwise you're going to reenact it through various TMS episodes. How? Learning compassion for yourself! Hard for us over-achieving perfectionists with self-esteem issues to do no doubt!

Forest, Beach-Girl and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Max:

I have no doubt that the weird muscle twitches and spasms I sometimes experience are just odd and harmless messages sent by my brain. Maybe it's looking for a new place for a TMS symptom? I wouldn't put that past it!

Nerve symptoms that I've had in the past, and which were increasing until I discovered TMS last fall, and which I now rarely experience, include: eye twitches, facial numbness, tingling hands, a "burning cold" sensation on the outside of my right foot, extra heartbeats, and shaky legs. In addition, I had some chronic pain, digestive disorders, and the worst one that started getting serious 3 years ago, which was dizziness.

I'm one of those people with lifelong anxiety who has had many varying symptoms all my life, none of them serious, terribly alarming, or debilitating (unlike many TMS sufferers who have serious debilitating pain). But as I approached 60, they were increasing in intensity, which caused the anxiety to increase, which started a vicious cycle.

These days I really know that everything we physically experience is the result of a signal sent by our brain, and I also know that on some level, I can control that message. This is, of course, much easier said than done! (MorComm and I touched on this subject on the most recent Saturday Chat). However, just having the knowledge that this is true can be very empowering.

I love MorComm's description of the process. And Beach-Girl is becoming an expert at moving symptoms! :^)

Hang in there,

Jan

Beach-Girl likes this.