1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Muscle cramps in stomach and soreness

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Wendyc, Oct 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Wendyc

Wendyc Peer Supporter

I've been super stressed the past few weeks and today it's really hitting me. I'm holding back on a lot of frustration. My stomach started hurting again, for the most part I've been able to stop it but I'm just curious if anyone else has these symptoms. #2 & 3 are what make me think they are muscle related

1. feelings of muscle cramp or spasm on side of waist or bell area
    2. can feel lumps where it hurts and when rubbed they calm down or pain moves (this is why I think its muscles)
    3. pain is superficial its not a deep pain some areas feel sore
    4. areas of back will also be tense or feel sore
    5. indigestion sometimes
    6. heartburn sometimes
    7. quick pains in any area of the stomach and lower stomach

2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

okay, first see your doctor for a check-up. Not that you should be worried, but do it just to rule out anything bad.
    I recognize a lot. Just to add... Pain in muscles of your abdomen is often accompanied by pain in your back (or vice versa :) ). Pain in the area you describe often will be accompanied in my case by less-than-ideal-stool so to say, as if the intestines cramp up or get blocked in some way.
    I don't recognize the lumps, simply don't know about that.

3. fern

fern Well known member

I agree that you should visit a doctor just to make sure (any new or disconcerting abdominal symptom warrants this), but I have similar symptoms and more. The lumps could be gas bubbles or stool. Massage can definitely invite the intestines to move gas and stool along a bit. And trapped gas or overly tense abdominal/pelvic muscles can cause indigestion by creating greater intraabdominal pressure - something I deal with a lot). But again, it's always a good idea to run it by your doc.

After some great PT, I'm convinced that my IBS is triggered by abdominal and pelvic muscle spasms. All of those muscles and organs (intestines are just a different kind of muscle) are really close together and share nerves and fascia, so they tend to aggravate each other. Learning this has been a BIG DEAL in my ability to not fear an IBS or dyspepsia flare. I'm less afraid of food triggers (though still a long way to go, psychologically, after avoiding various foods as though they were poison for so long) and more aware of how/when I'm carrying (repressing/burying) my stress in my abdominal and pelvic muscles. I'm much better able now to practice outcome independence. For some reason it seems way easier in my
    mind to soothe or, when appropriate, ignore a skeletal muscle spasm than an angry intestine or stomach.

So you might be on the right track suspecting that it's skeletal muscle. Once your doc gives you the all clear, I think it makes sense to TMS the crap (ha!) out of that pain. And in the meantime, TMS techniques should help at least a little no matter the cause since our pain perception is influenced by fear, stress, etc.

I hope you get some answers and that things work out for you and your gut!

TrustIt and Gigalos like this.
  4. Saffron

Saffron Peer Supporter

Sounds very similar to some of my IBS symptoms. Caused by trapped gas.