1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Multiple herniated discs

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Nacho, Mar 10, 2017.

?

Could my situation be considered as TMS?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Not

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nacho

Nacho Newcomer

First at all, I apologize about that my English isn´t well enough. I hope, however, that my message was properly understood. I am very grateful if someone read it, anyway!!! :)

I am a man of 39 years old with an active life without health problems, except frequent anxiety attacks. Four years ago I was diagnosed with a cervical herniated c6-c7 disc has don´t given me problems all this time. Simply, any contracture on the right trapeze solved by going to a PT every two or three months.

On April 28 of this year I had a new and very strong cervical crisis. I felt a lot of pain in his right arm and was with corticosteroid therapy, pregabaline, diazepam and Enantyum. I did a new MRI and the diagnosis was a herniated cervical discs at c4-c5-c6-c7. The EMG also showed pathological activity in c6-c7-c5 and a little c4.

I have visited several doctors (four neurosurgeons, an orthopedist and a neurologist) and finally I decided to wait several months to see if my "problem" could improve by iltself with time and conservative therapy.

After almost five months, my physical condition improved a lot, and, except some neck pain, some numbness in the hand and a little headache behind the eye, I could consider myself “healed”. So, I was doing almost normal life. I returned to work (I´m a teacher) and I was going to swim every day. My back problems haven’t a greatly influence the activity of my life.

But the problem continued. A two months ago I felt a lot of pain in the chest and back high, accompanied by something like needles in the stomach and ribs. Since the situation was not resolved, my doctor sent me a new MRI of the dorsal area. The results were not very good: discs protrusions in T6-T7 and T8-T9. Certainly, the conclusions of the MRI deeply saddened me and left me with the anguished doubt about what happens with my back and what will be my future in life.

I haven´t go to the job for more than a month and I suffer from the same symptoms: feeling sick, lack of energy, difficulty breathing, pain in the back and chest, fasciculations, needles in the chest ... besides, many other times I feel tingling in the legs and the perineal area and pain in the big toe of my left hand. My life is totally paralyzed by the “illness” and I do not know what to do. Honestly, I'm very desperate.

4 weeks ago in the book of John SarnoHealing Back Pain” and I identify with the personality that describes, especially in the real moment. Unfortunately, I´m a person who puts the desire of others above his own. In addition, for some time I have an uncontrollable anger to my ex-wife and family and much fear of “action” in general: stage fright, fear of being judge ...

However, I do not know if I can be considered to have TMS. On the one hand, my clinical images are very clear and all the doctors considered that my symptomatology has a clear cause (I attached the images in this forum, although I do not know if the forum rules allow it :doctor::doctor:). On the other hand, I have read many cases of the forum and I can identify with them, but I have not read a situation like mine: multiple herniated discs. Could my situation be considered as TMS? Any guidance about this?

Thanks a lot for your time, sincerely. I would be very very very grateful for any kind of response!!!!! :):):):):)

Cervical:

[​IMG]

Dorsal:

[​IMG]

Dorsal II:

[​IMG]

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Nacho. Dr. Sarno says that herniated discs are common and they often do not cause pain. I would follow doctors' advice, but not take pain killers because they can make the pain worse, and also surgery may not help and also make things worse. Try not to think that your pain is structural. Increase your belief in TMS and that it is from your emotions.

3. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Nacho,

Welcome to the forum! Multiple herniated discs are extremely common and generally do not cause pain, per Dr. Sarno and his followers. Many of us here, me included, have had herniated discs show up on MRI. They are seen as an incidental finding. Studies show there is very poor correlation with back or neck pain and herniation shown on MRI. This was my experience! Once I found out about TMS and did the SEP and reading and journaling, my pain and nerve symptoms gradually went away. Your situation definitely sounds like TMS to me given the lack of significant findings. Pain upon the initial injury or herniation can occur but the area will heal within a matter of weeks and pain should disappear. With TMS, it can persist. I highly suspect your symptoms are all TMS related at this point.

I recommend reading lots of TMS books, doing the SEP and any other program like Howard Schubiner's and solidifying your knowledge of and belief in TMS.

Lunarlass66 likes this.
  4. resilient

resilient New Member

The pain psychology center that Allen Gordon talked about (http://www.painpsychologycenter.com (Pain Psychology Center)) is very helpful and will Skype with you if you need help. I liked Howard Schubiner's book as well. I wish you well wishes as you move through this journey. I think you are taking the first step to healing.

5. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

That looks like one of the best MRIs I've seen. I don't know how to read them but people send them to me all the time. Yours looks almost perfect compared to the ones I've seen. But what do I know? I never thought electricity would catch on, but it shocked me.

Mason1996 likes this.