1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Most disheartening doctor's response

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by JillJill, May 7, 2018.

1. JillJill

JillJill New Member

Hi everyone, This was very recently. although I've suffered symptoms for over 5 years I got back on the 'find out what's wrong with me' train and visited another doctor. We'd done blood and urine tests the year before to rule out a heap of stuff and he'd said return in a year - so I did.

This time he said we'd look into Fibromyalgia (FM) - I was delighted! - a doctor who took it seriously and it also fitted with my own ideas of a diagnosis.

Although a lot is not known about FM - one thing is known: it is not caused my inflammation.

My test results returned - I had no evidence of inflammation in my bloods - this is great I thought. It 'must be' FM.

But my doctor, in his wisdom, ruled out FM exactly because there was no inflammation.

How do you tell a doctor he is WRONG! I was so frustrated and disappointed at his ignorance I just started crying!! Not the best reaction on my part...but I'd had such high hopes.

2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Jill,
    I suggest you don't tell him he is wrong. He ruled out some stuff (inflammation) and that is the important thing here. FM is a label that is vague, as different doctors apply different rules to what is FM and what is not. Frankly they don't know what it is to start with, let alone how to treat it. TMS however is a label that has much more value; it tells you where to look for the cause and what to do to get better. Hop on that TMS train, it might feel like a scary ride at first but it has a destination instead of going around in circles.
    take care!

Dorado likes this.
  3. JillJill

JillJill New Member

Great advice Gigalos thank you:) I have already made a good start to defrost my fridge!