1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 Missed a few days

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by TheWeeLad, Jun 12, 2019.

1. TheWeeLad

TheWeeLad New Member

Hey everyone! So i missed a few days - no excuses. Pain wasn't very bad the past week. Whether that had something to do with me missing a few days is a damn good question, and if i were a betting man, id say it does. Id also say that the fact that I'm writing this currently in pain is a tell tale sign that maybe i subconsciously rejected TMS as a diagnosis, since I drifted from the program right when I got a little hope that i was getting better? Anyways, I'm going to do a better job of making sure I remind myself day in that what I'm feeling physically is rooted in my brain, and not in my spinal structures.

Today's question asked what the most disheartening thing I've ever been told by a medical
    practitioner is. I don't think ive ever been told that i'll live in pain, or that it won't ever go away, which i feel like a lot of those here have. But i do know that it feels shitty to throw away your hard earned money at people who claim they can help you, but don't. When a physio tells you that you will need to come in twice per week before theyve even evaluated you really shows you where their priorities are. I am a physicist by trade, currently in graduate school, and I've noticed one thing: complicated problems tend to have simple solutions; it just might not be what people want to here. Sarno outlining the evidence that there is no relationship between spinal defects and pain isn't what people want to here. Despite the overwhelming statistical evidence of back pain being incredibly unpredictable considering structural abnormalities, these doctors still cling on to those diagnoses. It takes a smart man to reduce a very complicated problem into a simple solution, especially when that solution may be counter intuitive. Hearing my physio tell me that there is a 10 step process to fixing SI pain (can't remember the actual number), and each step having its own many visits and its own letter in some ridiculously long abbreviated word, made me damn furious. To read Sarno's words that it is all caused by my brain, and actually back that claim up with logical, sound evidence, is in its own way very freeing. Although, I do see why some people may not want to even give it a shot. It's easier to walk into a physio's office, have them show you some stretches, do them a few times per day and call it done than it is to dive into your emotions and psychology.

Anyways, that's enough rambling for today. Ill be back tomorrow.

JanAtheCPA likes this.