1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Mirror therapy

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Bk1959, Jan 8, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Bk1959

Bk1959 Peer Supporter

Just curious if anyone has ever tried mirror therapy to retrain the brain for one sided limb issues.

thanks

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I've done visualization meditations that accomplish the same thing. Perhaps it takes a bit more mindfulness, which is not a bad thing. In my case it was arm pain that had only been bothering me for a few weeks.

I would certainly give it a try. Can't hurt!

3. Bk1959

Bk1959 Peer Supporter

My thoughts exactly! Thanks

4. fridaynotes

fridaynotes Well known member

i think talking to myself in the mirror is a good and healthy habit.

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

@fridaynotes :hilarious: but also true.

@Bk1959, I've been fascinated with the connection between phantom limb pain and TMS ever since I saw the Ted Talk from 2013 with VS Ramachandran, who came up with mirror therapy. It will be interesting to find out if mirror therapy is applicable to chronic pain in existing limbs. It might be more effective for pain that is motion-activated, rather than static. Although if the pain is static, you don't even need a mirror in order to meditate on the pain-free limb, and visualize a transfer of the sensation of "no pain" to the other limb. Which is essentially what I have done, with success.

6. Bk1959

Bk1959 Peer Supporter

Thanks. I have been reading a few articles that talk about it being used for chronic pain, stroke rehab, as well as phantom pain. My pain is mostly motion activated, so will definitely be interesting to see if it can help. Now I just need a mirror :)