1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Minimalism & Mindfulness

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Simplicity, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I'm just starting to learn about Mindfulness but I've been practicing Minimalism for years and I think the two goes hand in hand. For me living in a minimalist way means getting rid of all unnecessary things in my life, both possessions and habits.

I started by going through my possession and selling off things that I didn't need, keeping only the things I truly loved and cherished - making sure to think twice before buying anything new. I took time to organize important things from my life and I now have a big box full of memories in one place. I know that every single item I own is something I need and want. It makes a huge difference.

I also learned to prioritize, not lending my time and effort to useless things. This meant enjoying the simple things and really being in the moment with my family, when I cook, when I garden. I think it's a pretty enjoyable way of life.

Now I just have to declutter my mind... that is a bit harder! ;-)

Has anyone here done the same?

The Minimalists:
    http://www.theminimalists.com/start/

I found this awesome lady a few months ago, Diana of Innermost House:

//Simplicity

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2015
    silentflutes and mike2014 like this.
  2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Simplicity,

That's a great idea and I think practicing minimalism is actually one of the many elements of mindfulness. It stops us from clinging onto obsessive behaviours and patterns and focusing on what's in the now. Now the challenge is, to apply all of the principles of mindfulness to the real world.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2015
    Simplicity likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Minimalism is wonderful. I keep remembering movies set in Japanese homes. They have very little except the bare necessities... they don't even have chairs. They sit on the floor to eat. Pictures on the walls? Nope. TV, stereo, computer? Nada.

A friend has her table so cluttered with old newspapers, stuff that comes in the mail, etc., it is high as a mountain. And don't look in her basement! It looks like ten garage sales wouldn't clear it. Her husband once told me that my uncluttered home was an "oasis of tranquility."

Simplicity and mike2014 like this.
  4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

That's right Walt, it also stems from Feng Shui.

Simplicity likes this.
  5. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

Yes, exactly, I really love Japanese gardens as well. How peaceful.

mike2014 likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

That's an amazing video. Thanks for posting it.

mike2014 and Simplicity like this.
  7. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

You're welcome, Walt. :)

I'm very interested in minimalist living and tiny houses. I think her way of living is fascinating. Sadly she's no longer living in the house, but she's now touring, speaking about how it was to live out in the woods for seven years.

mike2014 likes this.
  8. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I would also recommend this lovely documentary: Into Great Silence. Interesting and beautiful.

mike2014 likes this.
  9. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I forgot to mention this site, it's one of the best when it comes to Minimalism & Mindfulness.

Zen Habits

silentflutes, mike2014 and blake like this.