1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

GeorgieO Mindfulness Meditation

Discussion in 'Mindbody Blogs (was Practitioner's Corner)' started by Forest, May 10, 2012.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

There has been a lot of talk recently about process our emotions and how we respond to our stress. Georgie Oldfield recently wrote a terrific article about how to use Mindfulness Meditation to allow our minds to process everything that happen during our day. Georgie has graciously allowed us to repost her blog articles.

Livvygurl, veronica73 and Justina like this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

"Another form of stress is self induced, created by our constant mind chatter, although most of us don’t even realise how much stress this is causing us because it is so normal for us. This is where our learned behaviours, beliefs and attitudes play a part, with our mind chatter reinforcing these constantly to us. For example, if you have a habit of being self critical and a perfectionist, then your mind chatter will play away in the background creating inner turmoil as you ruminate over an issue you don’t feel you did it well enough.

Unfortunately most people don’t recognise that we do actually have a choice in how we speak to ourselves, even though it isn’t necessarily going to be easy to make these changes, especially in the early stages. However, once you notice how you speak to yourself you will recognise how often this mind chatter is negative, unhelpful and more often than not inaccurate based on past experiences."​

I have to admit that I don't really ever meditate, but I do really like this quote from Georgie. It is so easy to get wrapped up in our mind chatter and let our negative thoughts consume us. We need to understand that we have the power to change how we speak to ourselves and turn these negative thoughts into more positive ones. This is really similar to some of the ideas that Alan Gordon, Monte, and Dr. Zafirides have all mentioned.

You have the ability to choose how you respond to symptoms, emotions, and thoughts. It is just a matter of pausing, recognize what thoughts we have, and then choose to focus on more open and positive thoughts.

Georgie mentions that mindfulness can really help in doing this. I was wondering what other techniques people have done to do this. How do you combat the internal bully and change how you view/think about your symptoms?

Livvygurl likes this.
  3. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

I find something else to do, an enjoyable or practical activity that will distract me, pull me away from all that 'mind chatter'.

veronica73 likes this.
  4. danielle

danielle Peer Supporter

I did a buddhist forgiveness meditation for a year or two and that led into some metta meditation (related). They were both very heart opening and involved mindfulness and releasing the latching onto thoughts. When I was in the groove and really putting the time in, I felt so good that there was no room for the pain!! I think it's cuz it simultaneously decreases the mental tension and opens the heart, yum! I want to get back into meditation so this was good to come across. Thanks.