1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Mild oxygen deprovation

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Mark, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Mark

Mark New Member

is tms is related in parts to Mild oxygen deprivation, has anyone tried oxygen supplements ? i realize we can just drink water.
    thanks.

2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr Sarno says that when TMS patients have tried what you suggest and inhaled pure oxygen, there was no noticeable improvement. He says that it's the Autonomic Nervous System that really controls the amount of oxygen being delivered to your extremities. So unless you can consciously control your heart rate and blood pressure like a Yogi, taking pure oxygen doesn't really solve the problem, which has its roots in how emotions have effected the limbic region of your brain.

Good question though. I did notice this summer that when I suddenly went from sea level up to nearly 10,000 ft and tried to sleep that my TMS symptoms did increase. But after a few days at altitude, when I had acclimatized, my TMS symptoms seemed to return to the same level they were at down in the SF Bay Area. My periods at altitude did seem to break some of the programmed pain patterns, but I don't know if there have been any scientific double-blind studies to confirm that. But going to a spot where everyone is on vacation and having fun in the Yosemite high country might account for that too! Every time I start thinking physical I seem to notice that there are other emotional factors that cannot be discounted.

3. Mark

Mark New Member

So what should be my first step except reading the book?

4. BruceMC

Read Dr. Sarno's Healing Back Pain, then begin with the Structure Education Program (SEP) on the first page of the TMS Wiki. Maybe drop in to the TMS chat tomorrow? That's available on the TMS Wiki too.

5. Mark

Mark New Member

Yes great what time is that gmt?

6. BruceMC

The time of the chat group is listed at the top of this page: between 3-4 pm EST (12 noon PST). There's a link there too. It's also on the first page of the TMS Wiki.

7. sewmuch

sewmuch Member

Interesting about altitude. I always feel so much better, after the 1st day, at altitude. My headaches stop and my joints don't ache. It is the lack of pressure. When I return to sea level, my knees hurt and the morning headaches start again. I am ready to move....

8. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I believe it is 8-9 PM GMT. the points Morcomm made are right on point. According to Sarno Oxygen Deprivation is simply the physiological process that creates the pain. The true cause of the symptoms are repressed emotions. If you try to simply take an oxygen supplement you are still thinking structurally about your symptoms. Remember the key is to think psychologically. This is where reading the books help, of course you don't have to read the books. The important part is that you gain knowledge about what causes TMS and how to recover. Going through our Structured Program is a great first step. I would also suggest reading success stories. I based most of my recovery on reading success stories and forum posts, and it helped me immensely.