1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Met with Dr. Schechter!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Denise84, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Denise84

Denise84 New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to the TMS wiki and have really only posted in the forum for the Structured Educational Program (on day 11). But, I'm so so happy because today I had an appointment with the one and only Dr. Schechter! I'm so lucky to live so close to Los Angeles and to have been able to drive to Culver City to see him. The whole appointment was amazing, but the best part is that he is positive I have TMS. He went through my history, looked at my imaging, did the physical exam, etc. and said I fit the diagnosis to a tee! For once I feel confident that TMS is the cause for my pain and I have a new motivation and reassurance to continue with the work I need to do to address it. This is the answer I've been searching for since learning about TMS, but was never positive if I had it. Now for the hard work...I WILL get through this and I WILL get better!

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Denise84,

I am so happy for your certainty in this diagnosis. I wish you the best.

Andy B

Denise84 likes this.
  3. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Love your attitude Denise. And you WILL get through this and you Will get better!

Denise84 likes this.
  4. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Good for you! I met with him too. I found it reassuring to talk to a real doctor about TMS vs just my books and I! I had to get on a plane but it was still worth it. Good for you for taking that step! Best, AC45

Denise84 likes this.
  5. ThatBookBlewMyMind

ThatBookBlewMyMind New Member

What kinda physical exam do they do to test for TMS, do they check the nerv reflex ?

Denise84 likes this.
  6. Fernando

Fernando Peer Supporter

good for you Denise. Good luck in your journey!

7. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

By the way Denise, I am conducting a free workshop on Rapid Recovery from Back and Neck pain that can give you some additional tools to conquer TMS. It is this Wednesday at 5:30 PM PST. You can learn more below.

Denise84 likes this.
  8. Denise84

Denise84 New Member

It was much more than a physical exam. He talked to me a lot about my life and what was going on when my pain started (my sister had just died). He looked at my prior imaging (MRIs, etc), all of which were unremarkable despite chronic pain for over 2 years. He also checked my reflexes, range of motion, and TMS-associated tender points. The whole thing was fascinating really. Now is the hard part, doing the emotional work and trying not to let my doubt sideline me!

ThatBookBlewMyMind likes this.
  9. Denise84

Denise84 New Member

That sounds great! Where do I learn about it?

10. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle