1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Mental Symptoms

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by RikR, Feb 26, 2013.

1. RikR

RikR Well known member

I know a deregulated nervous system can not only produce physical symptoms but also mental: anxiety – morbid thoughts – insomnia –OCD - panic and so on. I don’t see much discussion of these from members here.

Are these not common with TMS???

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

All of that seems to be extremly common with TMS. Dr. Sarno even considers anxiety a TMS equivalent.

When my pain first subsided I had really horrible anxiety. Eventually that went away too, just like all of the other symptoms.

You might need to search older threads, but when I was more active on here last year there were lots of discussions on anxiety and some good advice. You're right, I haven't seen as much discussion of it lately.

3. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, Veronic and Rik, the first time I noticed my anxiety and OCD going way was after doing one of Dr Schubiner's ISTDP exercises in his Unlearn Your Pain workbook. Before that a-ha moment, I never realized just how much anxiety and obsession my mind was generating. That was the point where my TMS pain started gradually but inevitably subsiding and disappearing. If Dr Sarno is right about one thing, it's that the source of TMS pain (barring anything medical) is actually psychological and not physical. Get rid of the anxiety, depression and obsession and the reason for your TMS pain disappears and begins to heal. But being calm and relaxed inside your head isn't always easy, is it? Especially if your an over-achieving perfectionist who's always driven themselves way too hard for outmoded reasons left over from early childhood traumas.