1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Menstrual Cycle Question

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Ines, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Ines

Ines Well known member

I stopped keeping track of when my menstrual cycle was coming. I used to write it down and I would know that the week before I would have migraines. I figured that was putting too much focus on my body so I decided to forget about it and see what happened.
    I was doing really great. It came and guess what, no migraines the week before. But, once it came I think I was so conditioned to expect a migraine that focusing on my body brought one on.
    I tried not to focus on my body but during that time it's almost impossible.
    Does anybody have any tips on how to get through each month w/o focusing on our cycle even though it requires our attention?

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Ines,

I think you are on the right track when you talk about being "conditioned" to expect a migraine around the time of your menstrual cycle. Your mind has paired the hormonal changes you feel in your body with having a migraine. However, since migraines are TMS there is no physical reason for hormonal changes to cause a migraine. So my suggestion is to keep telling yourself this. Talk to your brain. Around the time you first feel the hormonal changes but before you start to get a migraine, say to your brain something like, "There is no reason for hormonal changes to cause a migraine. So there is no need to have a migraine. I'm willing to feel my emotions and work on my issues, so brain there is no need to create a distraction now." Find the words that work for you. Then if you do start to feel a migraine coming on, at the very early signs that one is coming, say "Stop it brain! There is no reason for hormonal changes to create a migraine. So just knock it off!" Then forget about it and focus your attention elsewhere. Just keep doing this every month. Eventually it will work.

I also think you may benefit from exploring your emotions around how you feel about being a woman, about your sexuality, about having children, etc. You may find there is some internal conflict and repressed emotions around this aspect of yourself. This may also be contributing to why you have TMS around this time.

Best wishes...........

plum and Ines like this.
  3. Ines

Ines Well known member

Thanks Ellen. I definitely have internal rage about a lot of those things you mentioned. I've never really thought about it but yes, I do need to journal and think about this. Good tip. Thanks!

4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Ines,

I find on this theme it helps to imagine what advice you would give the younger you or a sweet slip of a thing that you love and care for very much.

What would you tell her of womanhood? Of femininity? Of love-making? Of men? And little tiny babies so happy in their sleep and dreams?

Show the same tenderness to your blood and bloom no matter where you are in the life cycle. It matters not how many times we circle the sun if the same heartaches from youth weigh heavy.

@Ellen is a moonbeam of wisdom.

Plum x

mike2014 and Ines like this.
  5. Ines

Ines Well known member

Plum, you and Ellen are BOTH moonbeams of wisdom. If I ever met you guys in real life I would hug you and cry. You both are so knowledgable and helpful.
    What you and Ellen have suggested I think would make good journal topics for today. Thank you very much.

Ellen likes this.
  6. louiseshort

louiseshort Newcomer

When I was a teenager I used to get headache daily, especially at the time of my periods, but the use of menstrual cups which you could refer at right here, help me alot to reduce the pain to the greatest extent. The use of menstrual cups makes the period less sucky and thus helps in overcoming the migraine pain.