1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 6 Meditation

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Misha, Jun 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Misha

Misha Peer Supporter

I've been trying to start meditating for a while now but I really was getting caught up in the 'correct' way to do it, the right amount of time etc. so more time was being spent reading about meditating, than actually meditating.... So I did the Day 6 Body Scan exercise followed by 10 minutes of just plain breathing meditation, noticing my breath in and feeling the exhale on my lip.

It was an eye opener for a few reasons:
    -I find it really hard to sit still. I have a compulsion to get up and 'do something', or move or wriggle or basically do anything other than just 'sit still'.
    -I have so many thoughts. Many just over and over and over. So out of my control yet in my control because each time I noticed them, I could let them go. This happened hundreds of times but it was still valuable to watch it unfold
    -I felt strangely calm afterwards

So many success stories talk about meditation but I honestly was so closed to it until I read Tim Parks' book 'Teach us to sit still - A sceptic's guide for health and healing' and saw that he too was highly sceptical, and like myself would in all honestly never had come to something like meditation had his health/TMS not forced him to go there, only to find it incredibly rewarding and healing.

Glad I've started and have committed to do it everyday, even if only for 10 minutes.

Ellen likes this.
  2. Ines

Ines Well known member

Totally agree. I still have not started meditating. I've been trying to be mindful throughout the day though. Noticing things like when my breathing is picking up and when I'm too much of a busybody. Just doing that is helping so I'm sure meditating would help tremendously. I'm glad you're doing it every day. Keep us posted.

Misha likes this.