1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Medication - OK or not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by broncos24, Aug 26, 2019.

1. broncos24

broncos24 New Member

Im am trying the TMS route. Is it ok to still take anti depression medication when doing TMS therapy?

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I changed your title a bit to see if you'll get some responses. This is an important topic, and it has actually been discussed many times on the forum, so you could try doing a keyword search. I don't have the experience to answer!

3. LaughingKat

LaughingKat Peer Supporter

I'm not a fan of SSRI's because I hate the side effects. However, I started on one right about the time I was diagnosed with TMS. I absolutely needed it at that point to take the edge off of my anxiety about my symptoms. I was having daily panic attacks.

Here's something to be aware of though: I decided to go off the SSRI after I was on it for a little more than a year, because I couldn't live with the side effects. Although I tapered off of it according to my psychiatrist's instructions, I had bad physical withdrawal symptoms including unbelievable neck tension and headaches. I'm still not over them, and I suppose they're at least partly another manifestation of TMS. So for me, while I don't regret taking the antidepressant, it did muddy the waters of my TMS recovery work by causing more symptoms and more anxiety.