1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Media: QA Sample - Dealing With Anger, Resistance and Pessimism

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by Jilly, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

[medio=full]2[/medio]

2. trypp

trypp Peer Supporter

Great stuff. I find myself stepping back and observing my thoughts and feelings, recognizing that they aren't me, more and more. I'm too new at it to have a good sense from personal experience of how helpful it is, but it certainly seems exciting, and it's good to see Tolle talking about it. I think I've always been fairly out of touch with my own emotions, but have been developing much more awareness. With awareness of one's emotions, mindfulness becomes much more than just a tool for relaxation... it seems like it is becoming a way of learning how to relate to one's emotions. It is almost as if one can approach it like a scientist or experimenter. If a powerful emotion wells up (like rage or grief), then, by being aware of the emotion, we don't have to become the emotion. We can decide what to do with the emotion. Do we dive into it and vent like crazy? Do we argue with it because it doesn't make sense? Do we distract ourselves so as not to dignify it with the opportunity to unfairly hurt us? Or do we just live with it?

Probably, it makes sense to do a mixture of each of the approaches, depending on the situation. At least, that is what I find myself doing recently.

Can anyone else relate to this? Do you see an emotion welling up and then experiment with different ways of experiencing that emotion? Or do you always just maintain a mindful state of the emotion like Tolle seems to be recommending?

Jilly likes this.
  3. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

I try a mixture of things...first I recognize it. Then sometimes I try to validate my position in it and fully engage, (ego - I am right !). Then other times I watch it as Tolle says to do, I feel the power of it in my body, the autonomic responses, feel it crescendo and peak, then slowly dissipate.

4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I heard somewhere that detachment is a necessary precondition to enlightenment. Tolle certainly seems to espouse and embody that maxim. ;)

Jilly likes this.
  5. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

I love Tolle ... I think I heard that phrase too... MorComm

6. tarala

tarala Well known member

I love Tolle too. Power of Now is one of my top two long term books. Has anyone tried Eckhart TV? Looks like the video might be from a trial?

Jilly likes this.
  7. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Eckhart t.v. has a monthly fee...but tons of videos and interviews. I got the video off YouTube and it is a Eckhart t.v. clip

8. tarala

tarala Well known member

A subscription was one of the things on my Christmas list, but didn't materialize. I keep thinking about trying the week's free trial, just haven't gotten around to it. Plus, so much other good stuff to do ;)

Jilly likes this.