1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Meaning of symptom shifting

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by riv44, Oct 1, 2015.

1. riv44

riv44 Well known member

I wonder what is going on with me emotionally when a pain point gets reactivated. I hadn't had this burning hip feeling in months, as my psycho-somatic system has preferred to focus on neck and trapezius.
    My association:
    The air in Boston is starting to change. It is getting darker and chillier. Most of the local populace fell into depression last winter when we got slammed by snow. It was dismal and isolating. I stopped going to the gym after years of regular attendance, and this was a big mistake. I sat in the correct back chair with the appropriate pillows and heating pad, and watched all 5 seasons of Breaking Bad in about two weeks.

Once a depressive response starts, it's hard to break. As the season changes, the sense-memory of last winter re-emerges. I had not discovered Sarno, and did not realize that I could begin to heal myself and re-program. It was awful.

By the way, I just earned a "seriously likeable" award. Isn't that a dangerous thing for a TMS-prone personality?

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Very interesting insights, Riv! Amazing, the way our brains use memory.

Are you attending the Mindfulness Summit? The very first presentation today by Professor Mark Williams talked about his research into mindfulness as a valid therapy for depression. Which in itself sounds awesome, but the hour included lots of other really cool information about mindfulness. (later edit:) His Day 1 presentation is going to be available for the entire month (the others are scheduled to be available for just 24 hours). The lineup of speakers is pretty amazing, and I'm really looking forward to them. I just hope I will find the hour every day to listen.

Now why is that? Because we don't have enough self-love to accept an award?armscrosseddenial
    Or because our perfectionist personalities will work too hard to get the next one?;)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  3. riv44

riv44 Well known member

I have so many things to attend. There is a free stress reduction event in Boston with Herbert Benson (Relaxation REsponse) in a couple of weeks.

4. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I went to is clinic in Boston down by the Fleet Center and I found it to be some what of a pitch and sale thing you go in meet with a Dr talk a little about whats going on gives you a JOKE of a examination and wants you to sign up for group therapy for $800.00.. I laughed and left.

5. riv44

riv44 Well known member

Good to know.

6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

That's too bad - The Relaxation Response was groundbreaking in its time.

7. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Its was Jan and also i ask the Dr who was examine me if he heard of Dr Sarno and is work of TMS HE HAD NO IDEA. I knew it was a waste of time.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Group therapy for $800 sounds painful to me. We get a lot of great TMS healing techniques on this web site from wonderful, kind and generous people.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I googled for Prof. Mark Williams and found that he has a 1-hour video on mindfulness on Youtube.
    I'll look into it.

10. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

I am feeling the same. My upper neck used to hurt very bad before I got better. It hasn't hurt that way in a long time, but now that it is getting cold, it has started hurting again. This might be conditioned response from the cold. You and I need to not fall prey to this. Good luck!