1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Alan Gordon March 18th Webinar with Alan Gordon

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I am excited to announce that on Monday, March 18th at 9:00pm (EST) we'll be hosting our first special TMS webinar event of 2013 with TMS therapist Alan Gordon, LCSW. Alan spoke at our first ever TMS webinar, and returned for our second special webinar event in July 2012. Like these past two webinars, Alan will talk with callers on the line, with the goal of helping them through their struggles. This webinar will focus specifically on how to overcome anxiety.

(This webinar was originally scheduled for March 25th.)

To join the meeting from your computer or mobile device, click or copy and paste this URL into your browser: http://fuze.me/18938839.

To join using your phone, dial 1 646 583 7415; when prompted, enter the pin number 21558901

We will also have an online chatroom running, so people can discuss what’s going on and ask questions without interrupting the webinar itself. The chatroom will be located at www.tmswiki.org/chat.

If anyone is interested in participating in the event, or to learn more about it, simply post below. We are going to need a couple people to help moderate the event to help everything run smoothly. Also, if you are interested in participating in a one-on-one consultation with Alan during the webinar, let me know by sending me a private message.

I am really excited about this event - this is a great way for anyone to receive feedback and guidance from one of the best TMS practitioners out there.

eric watson and veronica73 like this.
  2. Forest

3. Layne

Layne Well known member

OH MAN I AM EXCITED. I listened to one of the other ones and it was incredible.

4. Lori

Lori Well known member

I enjoyed hearing Alan speak at the PPDA event in October. Very useful information.

5. Alan Gordon LCSW

Alan Gordon LCSW TMS Therapist

Thanks for posting, Forest. One of the primary things I'll be addressing is how to change your reaction to fear. Because in most cases TMS pain is fueled by fear, changing the way you respond to it often alters the pattern of reinforcement, thus breaking the pain cycle.

eric watson likes this.
  6. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

I am reading Claire Weekes's book, Hope and Help for Your Nerves, and she offers what I find to be helpful advice for dealing with fear. Although she is writing about the physical pain caused by nervous illness and panic attacks, I think you could use her advice to combat TMS as well.

I'm sorry I won't be able to attend the webinar, as it's the first night of Passover, but I hope to watch online later.

eric watson likes this.
  7. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Alan,
    It would be great if you wrote a book geared to fear and breaking the pain cycle.
    I am sure it would be a best-seller.

I am so enjoying your on-line articles.
    Thank you,
    G.R.

eric watson likes this.
  8. Forest

That's an excellent point, Gail. I have consulted with Alan and we have rescheduled the webinar for one week earlier (Monday, March 18th), same time (9pm EST).I've updated the original post to reflect this change as well.

9. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

Wow--awesome! Thank you!

10. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Gail - the emotionally-induced pain that Dr. Weekes describes is what Dr. Sarno decided to call TMS about 15 years after she wrote H&HFYN. The other symptoms she describes are what he later decided might as well be called TMS equivalents. And the "cause", nervous illness and panic attacks, are also TMS equivalents.

We say "TMS" only because it's convenient. Dr. David Clarke won't use that term because he's doesn't "follow" Dr. Sarno - I believe he prefers PPD (Forest knows Dr. Clarke and can correct me if I'm wrong about that detail). Dr. Schubiner calls it MBS. Dr. Mate calls it the Stress-Disease Connection. There are many other terms being used out there but they are all talking about the same thing!

I love Dr. Weekes. She is very helpful and comforting to those of us with chronic anxiety. Which is a TMS equivalent. :D

Jan

11. CMA

CMA Peer Supporter

Wow..that is super excited..I look forward to Mar 18th webinar

12. Forest

Starting now!

13. Stella

Stella Well known member

I found Alan's discussion with the young woman fascinating. I took lots of notes feeling I could also do what he was suggesting. My situation is different from hers. It sounded like she had violence in the home causing great fear, anxiety and pain.

My situation from childhood is one of abandonment and neglect. But I want to use his technique of putting my hand on my chest telling myself as a little girl you are safe. I am hear for you. It is going to be ok.

I am getting hung up on the safe part because I never felt afraid basically unloved, resented for being around and a bother/annoyance to my Mother. I want to work on reducing the anxiety associated with all this. My perfectionism is kicking in because I want to do the technique right.

I got the recognition, discipline and will do the repetiton. Any suggestions from others on the right words?

Forest likes this.
  14. Alan Gordon LCSW

Alan Gordon LCSW TMS Therapist

"You're okay. You deserve to be loved. I'm here for you now."

Or something along those lines. It isn't the words that are so important, but the spirit and the feeling behind the words.

Alan

eric watson, veronica73 and Forest like this.
  15. Forest

Hi Everyone,

The webinar on Monday with Alan Gordon was amazing. In case any of you missed, or if you are like me and just want to listen to it again, I have the audio of the session up. To listen to the mp3 go to http://www.tmswiki.org/dl/GordonWebinar20130318.mp3 .

You can also listen to each mini-session by itself by clicking any of the following links:

To download the file simply click the “Save Page As” section. This will allow you to put the audio on your Ipod or phone.

I am also in the process of uploading clips of each mini-session to YouTube, and will add them to our media section in a few days.

I want to also thank the callers for participating in the event. All of you should tremendous courage in telling your story, and I know it will/has helped many people in their own recoveries. There is great strength in our stories, and I want to thank each of you for sharing.

Forest

16. Stella

Stella Well known member

Thank you Alan...very good.

17. Sheree

Sheree Well known member

I want to thank you Alan. Those conversations were amazing to listen to. I had to wipe away a tear many times. I would recommend to all.

Forest likes this.
  18. Pandagirl

Pandagirl Peer Supporter

Very interesting to listen to myself! I am Mandi! Very apparent that I stuff my emotions and/or squelch my feelings and probably so used to doing so. I sounded calm but inside I was extremely nervous! Practicing self-soothing and noting some improvement. It's so very strange, something I have never done for myself...EVER!

Thank you Alan and Forest for this opportunity! Listening again and again! (BTW, something very soothing about Alan's voice)

veronica73, Forest and eric watson like this.
  19. Stella

Stella Well known member

I have been practicing too Mandi. I do it several times each day...soothing myself, telling myself "you deserve to be loved". I feel like my anxiety is slowly becoming less and less.

Pandagirl likes this.
  20. Sheree

Sheree Well known member

Mandi and Stella - thats great to hear. What a wonderful site this is - so pleased I found it!

Pandagirl likes this.