1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Manifesting Actual Illnesses (Not Just Symptoms)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by BrooklynGal, Aug 11, 2018.

1. BrooklynGal

BrooklynGal Peer Supporter

Hello,

Has anyone manifested actual diseases they were worried about getting? I have done that so many times in the past. I started in my teen years. Then from 19-31 I was medicated with an SSRI and I only manifested 3 illnesses I was afraid of getting in that time. I have been off SSRIs for 4+ years and have seen sick ever since. Started with back pain, got rid of that when I learned about this, but then manifested a few horrible and very real and documented illnesses that have left me with very little quality of life.

I'm thinking about going back on medication, as I didn't seem to have these issues when I was on them. They certainly did control my thoughts.

Curious if there are others, like me, out there? I hear about a disease, get extremely fearful, research about it, and in the past have actually gotten some. I have severe OCD and health anxiety. I think it's time to go back on the meds as they help me control my mind.

Anyone else..?

2. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Brooklyn Gal
    I think if you read some of the books, such as Healing Back Pain by Dr. Sarno, The Great Pain Deception by Steve Ovanich and also read some the forum entries on the success threads you will find that most of us here have 'documented' , 'real' problems as far as a diagnosis is concerned. By practicing TMS you/I/we may know we have such and such an illness/injury/damaged this or that because a doctor has told us this, but we understand that the pain from this ailment is TMS. Our mind sending signals to the injured part, creating the scenario of TMS.
    Of course, it is always advised to check with your physician to rule out something like cancer or if you have a broken bone that actually needs to be immobilized with a cast or some other apparatus.
    So, read more here, on this site, and you will begin to understand that "we" the patient, often set ourselves up for whatever we believe ails us.
    Good luck
    Keep us posted.
    Lainey

3. BrooklynGal

Hey,

That’s not what I mean. What mean is, I was always terrified of getting this one form of food poisoning - guess what, I got it. Diagnosed by stool sample. Then they told me they didn’t want to give me cdiff in treating me with all the antibiotics. Well, I googled what that was like crazy and became so fearful of getting - guess what I got it. Diagnosed by multiple stool samples. When I was younger, I was terrified of rabies, guess what - I woke up one night and there was a bat under my covers biting my arm. Had to get rabies shots. Was terrified of lice, fixated on it, got lice. I’ve read all of the books you mention above. My problem is sometimes I actually get the disease I obsess about. I’ve rarely gotten a disease I haven’t heard of that I didn’t fear first. I wholeheartedly believe in TMS. I’m wondering if it’s gone a big step further with anyone besides me.

4. BrooklynGal

I kept trying to tell myself the cdiff was TMS/IBS so I kept waiting to see a doctor - I even posted on this forum and talked to my TMS doctor for reassurance that it was only IBS. Well, I was in denial until I nearly fainted on the sidewalk, dragged myself to urgent care and tested positive for cdiff. It’s not a matter of opinion. I 100% had it. It completely ruined my life.

5. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Brooklyn,

I do believe you can "attract" what you fear. I think a great book for you to read is "When the Body Says No" by Dr. Gabor Mate.
    He's not a TMS doctor, but a lifelong researcher of how people arrive at their health conditions.

Also, look at the messages that you got from adults around you when you were very young.
    My mother would use a scare tactic if she just didn't want to go to the trouble of letting me attend something, like a birthday party. She'd say, "Those kids always roughhouse and you'll get hurt." Sure enough, if I figured out a way to go to the birthday party, I'd be the kid who fell off a bike or from the swing set and scraped up my knees or sprained a finger, etc.

I believe in the power of our thoughts to become self-fulfilling prophecy. You don't have to pretend you don't have something, but in your case, I think you should start way, way back in your childhood and see where you picked up the message of non-stop fear about health issues.

peace to you,

hecate105 and Lainey like this.
  6. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

This reminds me of my mother...When I was a child my mother often used to say, 'oh, boy, I'm thirsty - I wonder if I'm becoming diabetic?' (a raging thirst being one of the signs of diabetes, of course). She said this over a period of many years (and she was tested a few times for it but her blood sugars were always normal)...But then, in her late 40s, she did actually become diabetic and her type 2 diabetes became so bad quite quickly that tablets alone weren't enough to control it and she had to go on insulin which she had to inject three times a day. There is a family history of diabetes, but she didn't know about that until after she became diabetic (a couple of cousins of hers who she never saw were apparently type 1 diabetics from birth). Did she attract what she feared or was her body giving her a thirst on occasion as a kind of 'warning shot over the bows'? - I guess we'll never know for sure, although I have to say that I think it more likely to be a case of the latter or it being purely just a coincidence.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  7. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

I believe human beings can influence their bodies, e.g. being susceptible for infections when in a period of stress or other reasons that suppress the immune system. Back pain is something that is very dependent upon you mental health, so yes, that is definitely something one can fear and then by fearing actually have (your muscles getting tense). The other things you describe seem to me more coincidences. I guess you had a lot of flues, but never feared them.
    Think of it a bit challenging: if you had that much control over your body with your thoughts, then why not stop thinking of diseases? You would never be ill again!
    I know this is said a bit provocative. I think you should not worry!

Lainey likes this.
  8. NicoleB34

NicoleB34 Well known member

i had a very strange thing happen to me, this might seem a little TMI but i was dating a guy i didnt trust. i was convinced he was going to give me an STD because he was hanging around with a promiscuous girl. Well, low and behold, i came down with herpes symptoms! (blisters in the obvious place). Turns out, it was shingles. Shingles is technically in the herpes viral family, and it's not only rare to happen to a healthy young adult (unless you're under major stress, which i WAS) but it's also very rare to get it between the legs. It was almost like my horrid fear put the blisters there because that was the exact thing i feared.

Then there was the time years ago when i was convinced i had a specific autoimmune disease and i actually started getting the bloody noses, inflamed eyes, and chest pains that accompany the illness. it was so convincing that my immunologists kept running the blood tests because of my constant symptoms. We could never find anything in my blood, but i was beside myself in crippling fear.

9. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Ha, I can relate to this. Itching, discharge, flu and cold symptoms, etc. What's interesting is that I was always either (A) negative yet displaying very visible symptoms like colorful discharge that confused the hell out of my doctors, or (B) I'd come down with a real illness and keep getting it even though I never did in the past, including UTIs, strep throat, etc. This has all calmed down with mind-body/TMS work.

@BrooklynGal, regarding needing medications to control one's thoughts, understand that the brain is neuroplastic and always changing. You might just need help changing your response to anxiety and seeing things differently. OCD is another emotionally-driven symptom caused by the mind-body connection.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2019
  10. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

This demonstrates exactly how devious the brain can be. And guess what...I read your post before lunch today. Today at lunch I was talking to someone who told me a story about bats. So at this point I was thinking, what a coincidence!

Anyway, he was traveling overseas with his wife. In the middle of the night he asked his wife to stop pinching him. She said "I'm not!". Well, it happened a few more times and finally he jumped out of bed saying "this isn't funny". Then a bat flew out of the bed. Guess what? Some animal control experts were called and they had to fly the bat to Guatamala (or Guadalajara?) for testing. Came back negative for rabies. Want to know the kicker? The guy DID get rabies........