1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Looking for Closure

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Tappa, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Tappa

Tappa Newcomer

Hi All,

I am currently 90% out of trouble but im struggling to get over the last 10%!!

For the past 6 or so years I have had strange Nueroligical symtpoms ever since my first Migraine. come to think of it, i may have always had these strange symptoms but had always put it down to "nerves" or brushed it off. The first migraine started about 3 months after a trampoline accident, so this led me down a rabbit hole of chiropractors and physiotherapists claiming that my neck was "out" thus causing the attacks.

Fast forward to last year when i first found the program after a cluster coming off the back of a stressful event, I was active with the program but couldnt fully accept the concept. Once i started accepting the diganosis and concentrating on applying the principals I found a lot of releif but the fear of another attack is always looming - its like a bully that is not letting me completely live my life or get too far out of what i beleive to be a "safe zone". For instance, i am hesitant to drive too far away from my house in the case of being stuck away from safety (my home) if another attack came on; although i still make these ventures the fear is hindering my full experience of what these adventures could bring me.

I beleive my belief or full acceptance of the diagnosis is why i have this fear and very occasional attack come on. The attacks only seem to happen when i have either become too complacent with my progress or pressures in my life have become overwhelming to where i cannot apply the recovery principles appropriately.

I am hoping to find the missing 10% in the program.

If not i will NEVER give up. tiphata

ssxl4000 likes this.
  2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Howdy...sounds like you have done a great job so far working on your symptoms. Many of us have that experience of finding relief relatively quickly, but then struggling to completely banish the pain or fear. In my case, I felt about 50% healed within three days of learning about TMS, another 40% healed after about three months (and finishing the SEP), and maybe another 8% over the year since. Despite considering myself "healed", some symptoms still pop up with regularity, albeit generally very mildly. I also find myself occasionally feeling some fear of symptoms returning.

I think the reality for most of us is that we are never completely free of TMS. It's just a natural consequence of our biology combined with the type of society we live in. Still, having "mild" TMS is no problem at all in regards to living a great life. Actually, I find these mild symptoms helpful sometimes as they force me to explore things that are bothering me that I might otherwise brush off due to being busy.

If you finish the program, it should help you build life-long habits that will help you continue your healing. Regardless of how your timeline progresses, these strategies and habits will help you in the short and long-term so that you feel "healed" even if some fear or occasional symptoms still pop up. Good luck!