1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Looking for a little help

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Donnie, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Donnie

Donnie New Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have been reading it for about 2 months. So first things first, thank you for making this forum and aiding those who need help. So here is my story, (ill be short) I hurt my self weight lifting a year ago and had pain in the left side of my lower back and left leg. The pain was never consistent and like everyone else here I tried everything. End up getting an mri and like everyone in the world there was a herniated disc, but even my dr said that cant be the cause of pain because my pain doesn't match the herniation (I know shocking my dr said this wasn't the cause). Anyway, a year goes by and I feel good about my pain and I'm determine to get better, and I start to.. Then out of no where my upper back locks up and spasms.. I get checked out to see if a rib slipped out while working out and multiple drs say I'm good..

So like most people here I start to read every cause of back pain, then I stumble on a blog about rms and tms... I start to put it together and get a copy of Dr Sarnos book on my ipad, and while recalling my issues with OCD (not habits but constant thoughts) this all makes sense to me. I've always been a believer of Freud and the power of the unconscience mind, but the problem I am running into is i cannot stop thinking about my pain. I live a normal life and live just like I would if I didn't have pain. But the pain is still there. So overall, I'm at a point where I see the stress in my life and the pain it brings, but I've found when I'm not thinking about the pain, I'm doing good. I sleep well every night but as soon as i get up my mind starts up again and im thinking about if i feel better or not.

So how do I stop my conscience mind? Has anyone ever dealt with this? I've read that dr Sarno says that every time you want to think about pain think about your finance problems or any other type of emotional issue. Has this worked for anyone? I've tried it but the problem I run into is that my pain is tied to financial problems because of medical costs and all of my other emotional issues are tied to my pain..

So I want to believe the diagnosis, but still worry about the future and all my emotional issues are tied to my pain so I can't shake it. I do not let it win in my day to day life but I need some help getting over everything.. Any help would be appreciated (wow, just typing this out takes a load off)

2. NolaGal

NolaGal Peer Supporter

Journaling has helped me a lot. Like you said, writing things out takes a load off. I had no idea how much it would help. I'm still relatively new here and I'm sure some of the more experienced folks will be more help to you, but just know you're in the right place ;-) Take it one step at a time.

3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Donnies Quote- but the problem I am running into is i cannot stop thinking about my pain

Eric)- its a habit called conditioning that you learned to focus on and fear the pain
    now you will have to learn new habits that will replace the conditioning that's all
    new habits in place of bad ones then you'll get better.

Donnie)- when I'm not thinking about the pain, I'm doing good

Eric)- make this a habit- to stop thinking about the pain by losing the fear of it ok

Donnie)- I've read that Dr Sarno says that every time you want to think about pain think about your finance problems or any other type of emotional issue. Has this worked for anyone? I've tried it but the problem I run into is that my pain is tied to financial problems because of medical costs and all of my other emotional issues are tied to my pain..

Eric)- if it hurts to think about financial issues at least don't run from them - look at them without judgment good or bad then eventually and slowly learn to face them more- its called floating, look up Claire Weekes

Donnie)- So I want to believe the diagnosis, but still worry about the future and all my emotional issues are tied to my pain so I can't shake it. I do not let it win in my day to day life but I need some help getting over everything.. Any help would be appreciated (wow, just typing this out takes a load off

Eric)- have you been journaling to get to these issues?
    You'll have to stay course if you really want to see and believe- time is what it takes to heal- time and confidence. You have to lose the future worry thoughts by thinking only in the now- Eckert Tolle

4. Donnie

Donnie New Member

Thank you for the help. Its crazy that The more I think psychologically and not physical i notice how the pain moves.. It doesn't go away but moves up and down my back.. I have not started journaling, I need to though. I'm at the point though that I realize that if I can relocate my thoughts about pain to something else I can beat this. It was the same thing that I had to do to beat my OCD.. But I know this is different since there is pain involved. Either way I know I'm at the right place and I appreciate all the help and I hope that I don't drive anyone crazy by asking a bunch of questions

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Donnie- I can relocate my thoughts about pain to something else I can beat this

Eric)- Exactly correct-

And brother if you have any questions,
    ask away- we got em.

6. Donnie

Donnie New Member

Thanks Eric, I'm sure you know how much assurance can help tms. I have a couple other questions for you.

What is the best way of going about journaling? I'm a bit confused as to what I write about? Is there a guide or instructions I can find anywhere?

Also, can tms occur after a real injury? My interpretation of how tms started for me was after straining myself while working out I started to focus on the pain too much during the healing period, and as a result the pain continued. So like you've said before, the key to getting better is to redirect my thoughts so my body will allow the healing process to finally happen

7. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Donnie, have you tried the Structured Education Program (SEP?) It's a 7 week introduction to recovery from TMS, and it's found on this same wiki. As you do things each day, you'll be guided through journaling and other techniques. It's a great place to start, and along the way you'll read success stories as well.

8. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Donnie- Thanks Eric, I'm sure you know how much assurance can help tms. I have a couple other questions for you.

Eric- Thank you Donnie, Yes Assurance is an awesome ingredient in beating TMS.

Donnie- What is the best way of going about journaling? I'm a bit confused as to what I write about? Is there a guide or instructions I can find anywhere?

Eric- Yes , Here's a wonderful guide Donnie- http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/How_do_I_journal?

Donnie- Also, can tms occur after a real injury?

Eric- Yes, After the Initial healing time and its still there, more than likely TMS

Donnie- My interpretation of how tms started for me was after straining myself while working out I started to focus on the pain too much during the healing period, and as a result the pain continued.

Eric- This is how I got injured so many times, loose the focus as you said- Your very smart- and you will pull through this.

Donnie- So like you've said before, the key to getting better is to redirect my thoughts so my body will allow the healing process to finally happen

Eric- Donnie this is Wisdom Beyond measure my friend- Thanks

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Donnie. You're doing great by taking your mind off your pain. There are so many better things to think about. Think happy...
    think on the happiest things that have happened to you. Relive those happy times.

I healed from back pain (it started when I lifted a case of 36 cans of beer into my shopping cart at the supermarket) by reading
    Dr. Sarno and convincing my unconscious mind it was not from aging (I'm 83) but from repressed emotions. I discovered which ones
    they were from journaling.

I tried journaling in the structured way (one day past, one day present, one day future thoughts) but what worked best for me was just writing about whatever past memories I had that day and they led me to discover I had much more anger about my boyhood days than I thought. It led me to
    forgiving my parents and stepfather and older brother and myself, too. Journaling gets easier the more you write. Try to spend 15 minutes a day at it and you'll be amazed at how much anger, etc. you bring to the surface.

If your pain stems from financial difficulties, I know about that. Just try not to worry about them. Worry is a pain in the neck. The back, too!

Are these guys worrying (in the photo below) ?

!cid_A31044D928F74F3D8AE59F4601562213@Laptop.jpg

10. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Donnie,
    Welcome to this forum. It has helped me a great deal in my journey in overcoming TMS.

I've only been at this for a little over 4 months, and am just now beginning to feel that I'm getting the hang of the techniques I need to use to be relieved of my physical symptoms. Initially I was a little overwhelmed by all the information in the books I was reading on TMS and the information on this site. What has helped me is to focus on the core concept discovered by Dr. Sarno--that my physical pain (and many other symptoms) are created by my subconscious mind to distract my conscious mind from repressed emotions. And, therefore, the key to healing is to bring those repressed emotions to awareness in the conscious mind. Once this is done, the pain loses it purpose. Awareness is the key.

Journaling has been the most useful technique for me to accomplish this. The more I do it, the less time I have to spend on it to get at the underlying emotional issues. I see it as a process of "drilling down" to get at the core repressed emotions. I start with what is going on in my conscious mind--my current perceived stressors, my fears, etc. Then, I look for the underlying emotions that are turning these typical day-to-day life events into physical symptoms.

And I find the reading of information about TMS, and the experiences of others in addressing their TMS, helpful in maintaining and shoring up my belief that TMS is truly the cause of my physical symptoms. I envy those people who achieved a cure just by reading. While I found that it helped lessen my symptoms, I have to do the work everyday that I describe above to manage my TMS. But it is truly a miracle how well it does work.

Best wishes on your healing journey,

Ellen

11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Ellen and Donnie,
    I found as you did, Ellen, that focusing on my back pain being caused by repressed emotions and was not
    structural was the main thing that helped me heal. And journaling was the best way for me to discover
    what those repressed emotions were, most of them going back to family and my boyhood.

Donnie, the link that Herbie posted will help you a lot in your journaling. Good luck healing. It will happen.