1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 6 Looking at the "old stuff" isn't easy

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Patti Kimler, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Patti Kimler

Patti Kimler Peer Supporter

Today I journaled about flunking out of college 30+ years ago. There were a lot of emotions that came up then and now, but back then I stuffed them. I stuffed them so deep that I treated my flunking out as a secret, and for 25 years I didn't tell anyone, even my husband. When I "came out" 5 or 6 years ago, it felt good. I talked about the feelings that I had back then, but it's still not fun to revisit them today.

After I journaled I did a short meditation that really felt wonderful. I released that old stuff and made peace with my past- it has only served me and not hurt me. And then, just because I could, I burned some white sage.

I've had some bad back days since I got out of the hospital Tuesday night, but woke up early this morning feeling much better. But I did notice that while I was journaling, my back started to ache. I laughed at it and told it that it didn't need to do that anymore, that the things I was feeling were being released and acknowledged. What kind of things do you all say to your TMS? What words work the best for you? Some of you have shared that you are able to stop a bout of TMS in minutes- I would SO like to be there! Please share how you do that, so I can start to practice and develop my own methods....

Thanks so much, and everybody have a terrific day.
    Those of you that are in the path of this huge winter storm, know that those of us in warmer climates are thinking of you, and praying for you too.

2. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

Hi Patti
    I've tried treating my pain like a very young, frightened child and talking to it very calmly and reassuringly. Others have found great benefit from that - I wasn't one of them. I personally get the best results from getting really firm and angry with my pain - flat out yelling at it as loud as I can to get lost. And once in a while (while I'm driving alone with the radio turned up loud - and no one on the sidewalk) I just scream at the top of my lungs for as long as the breath lasts.

3. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Different things may work at different times. Sometimes I have yelled at my brain with success. Lately, though, I've been using the pain as a signal to comfort myself/inner child. This has been working for me.

As Leslie says different things work for different people, so do what works for you.

4. Patti Kimler

Patti Kimler Peer Supporter

Thanks for your responses. I've been doing a lot of inner child work anyway, so I like that you both mention it. I'm going to try the comfort route first, Veronica, because getting angry doesn't seem to work unless I get VERY angry, and I don't like to go there. It leaves me shaken and off-balance. But I'll keep in mind that it works for you, Leslie. Thanks again!