1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Little to no pain, but Overwhelming anxiety!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by JenV, May 11, 2015.

1. riv44

riv44 Well known member

It's not the opposite of my experience. My physical symptoms generated a lot of anxiety, which in turn ignited the physical symptoms, and so on.

Lizzy and mdh157 like this.
  2. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Seeing a TMS therapist now.......but it's def not something that is fixed overnight. Sometimes looking at myself, wondering if the dimples/dents, etc are atrophy or just normal for me. Did it a lot at the beginning but now have been able to ALMOST avoid it completely. Also working on a few things that supp stimulate the Para NS.

3. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

I suffered terribly from anxiety once I had gotten the pain levels way down. I knew it was just another distraction, I was terrified of a relapse, so terrified I caused one. How's that for TMS tenacity !

I got it under control using Claire Weekes method, in her book "Self help for your nerves", and her CD "Pass through panic". Anyone having anxiety problems should give it a try. Her mantra is "Face, Accept, Float and Let Time Pass" and it really does work; not just with anxiety but other TMS symptoms. She helped me to understand the process of ANS overload causing symptoms. It complements Dr.Sarno's work perfectly.

Lizzy likes this.
  4. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Well I'm going to have to try other things because right now I'm spinning my wheels. Woke up with twitching abt 4 am and that was it for sleep for the rest of the night for me. I shouldn't be worried abt what I'm worried abt at this stage of the game but I am, it is obvious I do not have control of my thoughts like I should. Life was so good before this, now it's misery.

5. Mermaid

I noticed the "shoulds" in your post. You seem to be putting yourself under a lot of pressure to heal. Please try to go a little easier on yourself. I know you're angry and frustrated, but cut yourself some slack. Self compassion lowers your tension level, which is after all what TMS healing is all about.

The early hours of the morning were always my toughest. My thoughts are with you, stick with it you will heal I promise.

Lizzy and Tennis Tom like this.
  6. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Mermaid, my problem is the longer this goes on, the longer I tend to think I have a serious health problem. Right now I'm trying to get stuff done @ work but the worry keeps floating in/out, I cannot keep it at bay for any decent length of time. Not to mention lying in bed not being able to sleep when you know its anxiety keeping you from doing so seems to create more anxiety.

7. Mermaid

I know you think you're stuck, but you're not. Seriously, get hold of Claire Weekes book, read it, then read it some more. By which time you will have calmed down considerably, then do exactly as she says and you will see a huge improvement over time like I did. There were no quick fixes for me, it's been a long process with many ups and downs. Steady persistence and self compassion is the key.
    Bless you.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  8. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

I ordered the book Mermaid........

Lizzy and Mermaid like this.
  9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, everyone. Let's all try not to be "worried all the time." That's not only a TMS therapist's job, but our own. If we think positive, live in the present moment, practice deep breathing, and LAUGH, we will drive away worry. I was stressed out this morning but decided it was all just a pile of doodoo
    and laughed it away. Most everything that makes us worry is just in our minds, causing TMS pain.

I like the idea of writing a letter to ourself that stresses our self-worth. Several TMSers have posted about it today and say it is helping them. Just be careful not to send the letter. I am reminded of my sister's girlfriend when they were teenagers. The girl gave the bus driver her letter and dropped ten cents in the mailbox.

Susan1111, Tennis Tom and mdh157 like this.
  10. Mermaid

Let me know how you get along with it. I'm with you all the way, things get better I promise

11. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Putting my oar in! Claire Weekes was a huge help! In the morning before leaving for work I meditated, walked out the door and listened to her on the way to work. I am very hopeful it will make a difference for you. Keep on and it will be ok.

Mermaid likes this.
  12. Mermaid

[Qplayed Lizzy, post: 59611, member: 3106"]Putting my oar in! Claire Weekes was a huge help! In the morning before leaving for work I meditated, walked out the door and listened to her on the way to work. I am very hopeful it will make a difference for you. Keep on and it will be ok.[/QUOTE]
    I played her CD I'm the car for months, it really does work. She's straightforward and reassuring. Stopped me feeling like a loony!!

Lizzy likes this.
  13. laradara

laradara New Member

Hi, Jen V! I was just wondering what aspects of the book you did not like? I was thinking of trying to obtain it.

14. chepolina

chepolina Peer Supporter

Just wanted to say a huge thanks for those sharing the info on Claire Weekes and Alan Gordon - really good reads.

I've successfully overcome my TMS pain symptoms years ago (it was a 2+year nightmare, which brought me close to surgery, no surgery done but left me thinking I'd be permanently disabled; I'm 100% now and no pain... But that's a separate story), and I needed some good resources on overcoming anxiety.

It's interesting that now when I go through difficult phases in my life the physical pain no longer works as a distraction so TMS uses anxiety as its new tool of choice. It's all the same system though; and certainly we can all overcome it. Especially with a community like this where amazing resources are shared.

15. JenV

JenV New Member

Hi Laradara! The only problem I have with Louise is that she gets a little too "out there" for me in some of her theories. For example, she believes we have lived several lives and that we chose our parents. I was heavily involved in church when I began listening to her so I almost felt guilty at first. We no longer attend church; however, I feel my relationship with God is more authentic than ever now. There was just too much guilt and blame and "not good enough" for me. I believe now that God loves me and is on my side-- ingesting this on a deep level has been essential to my healing. Louise stresses the importance of this. She's really quite remarkable. You can find some of her audio on YouTube to see if you like it before purchasing the book.

16. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Hi All - I found Louise Hay useful as well. I wrote about her on another thread yesterday. I am posting it here in case it is helpful for anyone.

++++++++++++

Hi @IndiMarshall and others following this thread,

Thank you for introducing me to Louise Hay. I picked up her classic book "You can heal your life" and I read it cover to cover. She has a lot of spiritual beliefs that you may or may not agree with. Don't let that get in the way of her core message. I found it to be really helpful.

Here are a few points that stood out for me:
    1. When we really love ourselves, everything in our lives works.
    2. Self approval and self acceptance are keys to positive changes.
    3. We must release the past and forgive everyone.
    4. Resentment, criticism and guilt are the most damaging patterns.
    5. The bottom line for everyone is "I'm not good enough" (Brene Brown confirms this).
    6. Everyone suffers from self hatred and guilt (you are not alone)
    7. It is only a thought and a thought can be changed (this basically means that when you recognize your unhealthy patterns, you can learn to start replacing them with more healthy ones ... Alan Gordon also highlights this in his free treatment program on this site - the notion of treating yourself better).
    8. The point of power is in the present moment

I admit that I do find some of her spiritual beliefs a little out there but her message is timeless. Don't let the detail cloud the message. When I first read this book, it helped me sleep as I recognized self critical thoughts, acknowledged them as Sarno wants us to do, then told myself there can be another way. I can love myself instead. Sometimes I walk around chanting "I love myself" in my head. It sounds silly but it has helped reduce anxiety and Insomnia.

I promised @IndiMarshall that I would provide my thoughts. Thanks again and do focus on her message. Don't get too caught up in things that are harder to swallow (like loving yourself can cure cancer .... it probably does help to have a good mental outlook while doing cancer treatments but I medical science is useful too ;).

Focus on her core message and I think it can really help you.

Cheers,
    AC45

JenV likes this.