1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Letting go of Damaging Thought Patterns

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by eightball776, Jun 18, 2017.

1. eightball776

eightball776 Well known member

For as long as I can remember I have been susceptible to what I clearly understand to be unproductive and even dangerous thought patterns. I am wondering if anyone here in the forum knows of a technique or exercise that might be able to help. I have told myself again and again that there is absolutely no benefit to be derived from this way of thinking, and yet I still seem to be unable to stop.

I simply cannot let go of certain things from my past. Everyone has regrets, but I carry stuff around with me for decades and I don't understand why. I will randomly start thinking about a missed opportunity, bad decision, traumatic event, etc. that occurred 20 years ago. Consciously I know I believe regret, much like envy, is a complete waste of emotional energy. If I made a bad decision or missed out on something, all I can do is learn from it and move on, yet for some reason my thoughts are still clouded by things I can't change without a time machine. Sometimes it is just silly stuff, like a bad 1st date or a conversation that went the wrong way. Silly or not, it has no effect on my present or future - so why does my subconscious mind insist on hauling this baggage around?

I know this is one of the primary contributing factors to my TMS. Learning how to eliminate this pattern/habit/tendency has become an urgent priority. It is one of 2-3 factors that have completely stalled my ability to use Dr. Sarno's methods to banish the debilitating back pain that is destroying my life.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations or advice....I'd like to hear from you even if you have no solution and just have experienced something similar.

2. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

That is a very common problem and definitely contributes to TMS but also affect the quality of your life. I had a Hollywood actor client who was plagued with negative thoughts. He had tried cognitive therapy, psychotherapy, and other forms of therapy to eliminate them with no success.

I thought him a one step process by which he was able to eliminate them quickly and effectively. He was quite amazed how easy it was. It will require a lot of writing to give you the entire process, but I explain the process in detail in my Rapid Recovery podcast titled, "Stop Negative Thoughts in One Easy Step!"

Take care,