1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Leg pain, Tingling, numbness etc.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by GregP, Apr 20, 2020.

1. GregP

GregP Newcomer

Hi all, long story but I've been dealing with a lot of physical symptoms for a long time. Started with stress based neck and shoulder pain in the past but has become more clever over the years.

A few months ago I was in a meeting and my hand started shaking. I freaked out and began googling, and then thought I had Parkinson's, ALS, and then finally settled on MS. Once I read the symptoms of MS, I started experiencing all of them, pain, tingling andnumbness on my left side from my face all the way down to my calf. Some vision issues, which come and go depending on how stressed I am. Limbs falling asleep more easily than they used to, And others.

Now... I have a history of recreating symptoms I read online, and the way this started out with googling after a hand tremor screams psychological. I've been to the doctor and he agrees with me, although I'm not sure he totally sympathizes or believes how real the symptoms are.

I'm having trouble though because every time it seems to get better, it comes back and I start worrying again, I can't shake the worry.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has any experience with symptoms like this. Dr. Sarno's books talk about pain extending from the back into limbs, but my back has felt okay through this, which also makes me concerned. Thanks

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome GregP,

I have not had the particular symptoms you've had. But rest assured all of them fall under the category of "TMS equivalents." If you've been cleared by a doctor and you're ready to take on the approach we support here then there's nothing stopping you!

Some supporting evidence for TMS diagnosis which I read in your post:
    (chronic symptoms, which are varied and over many years)
    (power of suggestion, "contagion")
    (ditto)
    (seeing correlation between stress and symptom increase)
    (examining physician believes patient suffers from "psychosomatic illness")
    (underlying stress/psychological material/fears keep symptoms coming back, vs "time to physically heal")
    (one symptom set subsides and another takes its place)

These items support TMS diagnosis. But as you probably know we can't diagnose you. Non of us are physicians.

We have the Structured Education Program free at the Wiki, which also includes I think a reading of Gordon's recovery program (linked at top). Dr. Schubiner's Unlearn Your Pain is program with great success too.

You have to gather up your gumption and your inner guidance and dig in, if this is seems like it might be for you. Don't ignore things which might be serious and have not been cleared by a Doc!!

Best to you, and feel free to post questions, thoughts as you go along.

Andy