1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

"Learning to Stress Better"

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JanAtheCPA, Feb 4, 2023.

1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

From my personal favorite meditation app, Ten Percent Happier, last week's newsletter is here. It takes almost no time to read, but it covers some essential aspects of the connection between our minds and our bodies. The author focuses on the use of breathing to lessen stress, and provides one of the best (and easiest) explanations I've seen about understanding the difference between thinking about breathing, and experiencing the physical sensations of the breath - and how to get out of the first, and engage the latter.

My two cents: Lately I've been thinking that individuals who have experience with mindbody practices or hands-on bodywork, in any of their many forms (meditation, yoga/tai chi/qui dong/etc, therapeutic massage, acupuncture, Hellerwork or Rolfing, even physical therapy depending upon the skill of the practitioner) actually have a better chance of succeeding in this work, simply because they already understand how to feel their bodies, and the individual sensations and flow of energy, if you will, within their bodies, rather than just thinking about (ie, intellectualizing) the sensations they are experiencing from their bodies. I would love to discuss this.

BruceMC likes this.
  2. Sharada Devi

Sharada Devi New Member

Thanks so much for sharing this. I agree whole heartedly that getting the body fully involved the the retraining of its brain is crucial to lasting success. I've said for years you have to deal with your biology or it can become a prison. Seeing people in pain, struggling in their bodies is one reason why I do what I do. I have to go and get my newsletter now.