1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Learning to smile again

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by Kev74, May 9, 2016.

1. Kev74

Kev74 Peer Supporter

When I was a kid, I would always smile. Some of it was out of shyness, but mostly it was because I was more carefree. I can remember waking up as a child with a smile on my face. I didn't have any reason to smile, I was just... happy. How then did I become a person who hardly ever smiles at all?

I'm always so serious about things. I hardly ever crack a smile, even if I watch something funny. From the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep, there is always a sense of foreboding and dread that looms over me. I have become so pessimistic. I look at life as being harsh and a struggle. Everything feels so difficult, as if trying to get through life with a lead ball tied around my ankle. I never expect the best, but always fear the worst. Is it any wonder my body hurts all over?

It has taken a lot self-reflection and taking a step back to realize what I have become. And I don't like that person. It's no way to go through life. I want to go back to the boy who always smiled a lot. I know it wont happen overnight, but I am determined to work on it each and every day.

p.s.
    Just sharing my personal thoughts and feelings, I hope this is the proper forum for it.

Mad and Boston Redsox like this.
  2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi Kev. Your post reminded me of a poster I saw today at school. It said, "You can't change your past, but you can change your future."
    Good for you for resolving to have a happier outlook!

Kev74 likes this.
  3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

I've always loved this quote...

Can you remember who you were, before the world told you who you should be?

DANIELLE LAPORTE

Kev74 likes this.