1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

landry comments on lesson #27

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by richard landry, May 14, 2012.

1. richard landry

richard landry New Member

For several years my fibromyalgia has always been more sever at night, painful enough to cause some sever sleep deprivation. A reply by Beach Girl to one of my postings suggested that I consider any traumatic events I encountered in my early life at night. My reply was that I did not remember any specific night time bad events. However, today, while driving, a memory flash happened. I remembered my older sister was very afraid of the night & would turn on every light in the house in order to make a potty run. I was compelled to accompany her & protect her from "IT". Whatever "IT" was must have been really bad and I became accustomed to being afraid of the 'IT". Additionally, at around the age of 5 my sisters took me to see the movie "Abbot & Costello Meet the Werewolf". The scene where the man morphs into a werewolf was absolutely traumatic. I remember shaking and getting on the floor of the theater and crying. I stayed afraid of the werewolf until I was eighteen. These seemingly innocuous experiences I now accept as having had a profound impact on me AND I believe I have found a link as to why my symptoms become much more pronounced at night. The unresolved fear of these events is probably contributing to my night time symptoms.

How does one prove a connection of an event to a TMS symptom?

2. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Wow.

That was a great memory to recall Richard! I've had a few too. If you relax your mind while doing something mindless like driving, doing dishes, showering, you will find those things will pop in.

My brother and I watched that old Twilight Zone (I'm dating myself here) where the dude is on the wing. Scared me for years. And I never got through the Wizard of Oz either - those monkeys scared me to death! I think that these experiences from childhood have a great effect on us as adults. Our society assumes we'll grow out of everything, but it doesn't quite work that way.

I'd say your onto something. Perhaps explore more the fear you had then, and why you might have it now. Just a thought.

BG