1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 29 Keeping it simple, dependency, and wronged by.....

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by movingcloud, Nov 8, 2012.

1. movingcloud

movingcloud Peer Supporter

Today I am invited to write a letter to someone I feel wronged by. BUT I have also been learning about keeping it simple, and about living in the now. So if I write about something I feel wronged by that happened in the significant part of my past - I am not in the present. So I will write to the person who interrupted me when I was doing my journaling about dependency less than an hour ago. In full throttle with thoughts flying about people in my life who I may or may not be dependent on, the phone rings....and this is my letter about it.

Dear Sue from UK Choice,
    I am writing to you to let you know that you interrupted me when I was doing important work, and I knew immediately you said "hello, can I speak to.......(full name with initials)" that I was going to be distracted and have to listen to what you had to say. I asked you who was calling, and you said Sue from UK Choice, and don't worry you were not about to sell me anything, you just wanted to find out my opinions about a number of UK companies. I want to let you know that even before you rang me I think you knew we are going to do this dance together. You are going to come over all innocent with your mildly probing questions, and I am going to be irritated or aggressive or somewhere in-between. I have nothing against you personally Sue, indeed you are the first mature Indian lady I have talked to who has that name so that makes you a little bit interesting.
    I let you talk. You were reading a script. I then told you that I was looking your company up on the web, and seeing if I could find out more about your organisation. When I told you I could not find anything about UKChoice you put the phone down on me. ON ME!!!!! I'm the one in this dance that's supposed to put the phone down. How dare you!? Didn't you want me to give you my time, my opinions, my less sensitive personal details?
    I am incensed that you did this to me, and I just want you to know that I won't be quite as nice the next time you ring. And by the way, I just know there'll be a next time.
    There are important things in life Sue, like doing a job you love, and being honest. May I suggest you go away and think about what you're doing, and what impact it has on each and every one of the strangers you phone every day.
    Best wishes.

hecate105 and Enrique like this.
  2. Stella

Stella Well known member

Good Job... I am going to follow your model.

3. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

MMh, get caller ID - that way you don't have to talk to ANYONE you don't want to!! I find myself getting incandescent with rage at utility companies - when you HAVE to ring to get the right bill or service and they get you spinning round in circles... UGGH! It's a way of venting some of that overflowing anger I suppose...

4. Lori

Lori Well known member

I would say that caller triggered something deeper from your past.

I have a friend who always talks about living in the present. However, that doesn't mean things from the past don't need to be processed. Past trauma/issues, etc. are stored in our bodies. Our present is indeed affected by our past. I want a peaceful present! That's why journaling about past events is important. These things won't go away simply by "living in the present."

Remember that many professionals say that all of our current issues are rooted in our past.

PS another viewpoint is: the telemarketers are trying to make a living like the rest of us. . .