1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Just beginning your healing journey? Read this.

Discussion in 'About This Site' started by Forest, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

First, welcome to our community! I hope you find the resources here very helpful and wanted to make a post to provide some guidance about how to start.

I should probably introduce myself. I started this community back in 2008 after recovering from my own TMS. You can learn about me and watch my story by clicking here to visit my forum profile.

If you don't even know what TMS is, click here for an introduction to TMS from our Wiki.

If you have already seen a doctor to rule out anything serious and have verified that a mindbody approach is appropriate for you, then, at this stage, my advice would be to keep things pretty simple. The first step is to get a TMS book and read it. Think hard about how it applies to you.

Connecting with other TMSers can also really help. You probably have some concerns and questions about your own particular case that you might want to get feedback on. A great way to do this is by introducing yourself if our support forum or joining in our weekly text-based drop-in chat room every Saturday. Click here to see how to make your first post.

Reading posts and threads by other people can also be tremendously helpful. To keep things manageable, you may want to start by only reading the Support, Success Stories, and Structured Educational Program subforums because that is where the conversation is most tuned to the needs of newcomers.

When you are starting out, many of our members highly recommend our Structured Educational Program (SEP). If you want to jump-start your recovery, you can start working through the SEP.

Just remember to not put too much on your plate. An important part of TMS healing for many is learning how to be kinder to yourself so you are relaxed and happy in your life (sometimes the TMS is a wakeup call). TMS healing has its own timeline and if you can embrace that, the healing will actually come more quickly. One program at a time is enough.

Whatever you decide is best for you, the people here understand what it is like to live with severe pain or other symptoms, so you are very welcome here. Feel free to ask any questions you have below!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Mari, Bearfeet, Ines K and 5 others like this.
  2. Forest

By the way, does anyone else have any special advice for newcomers? Perhaps we can crowdsource this. :)

laugiss likes this.
  3. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

As a newbie myself some time ago I did a ton of research on this forum, using word searches and printed off posts that really resonated with me. One post in particular I keep in my bag (it's my TMS 'rescue remedy') it's called: "Repeating the keys to healing" by Ace1. Ellen's Success story is another gem. Do the research, and really explore this site to familiarise yourself with those who have experienced similar symptoms.

Rosa, Northwood, Ines K and 5 others like this.
  4. zuzana621

zuzana621 New Member

Along with my journal I write notes from the education part. I have made a file called TMS program where I put the date and I make notes from the parts that really got my attantion - as Colly nicely said posts that really resonated with me.
    At the end of the program I plan to reread my notes and make a resume out of it. It will be something like "the best of" for me from all of the ideas and recomendations that I read during the everyday course.

Forest likes this.
  5. Marcocrrolando

Marcocrrolando Newcomer

Hi I want to ask something in the forum but I dont now how

6. Forest

7. ekim2016

ekim2016 Newcomer

Hello
    I just joined and feel somewhat lost. Where to start? Is there a place to tell my story? thank you

8. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Ekim,

You can tell your story on your profile page. Or if you have a specific question related to what you are experiencing, you can describe it and ask for advice or support in the Support Sub-Forum.

Welcome to the Forum! We look forward to hearing from you. Feel free to ask questions at any time. We're all here to support one another.

9. Archie

Archie Peer Supporter

10. Archie

Archie Peer Supporter

Hi, I have just joined this forum, and cant figure out to post something, rather than replying Thankyou.

11. Archie

Archie Peer Supporter

I am feeling very overwhelmed by all the information; do y ou have advice for a simple starting point? thankyou

12. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome to the forum Archie. To post all you need do is click on the forum you wish to post to and on the top right you should see a box that reads "post new thread in this subforum". Click on that and you're good to go.

There are two programs on the forum.

The first is Sarno-based and structured over 42 days. It's called The Structured Education Program or the SEP. This one is best if you need guidance and structure. It was created by people who have recovered from TMS.

http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Structured_Educational_Program (Structured Educational Program)

The second is a more contemporary neuroscience based one contributed by a psychologist called Alan Gordon. It's not structured like the SEP but it is broader and better for people who appreciate the scientifc edge.

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/ (Pain Recovery Program)

Love Plum x

RittaZoe236, Bearfeet and Ellen like this.
  13. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Archie, to add your response to a reply look for this code [/QUOTE] which signifies the end of the reply box. Start writing after that or don't bother replying and just type anew as you have done in earlier posts. Don't worry, it gets easier to figure out with a little practice.:)

14. Archie

Archie Peer Supporter

Hi Plum, again, very helpful thankyou. Another question - how do I look at what I have previously posted, i.e a sort of inbox/sent items , area? Thanks :)

15. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Click on your avatar. It will open into a bigger box. Click on that and it will go to your profile page. There is an option on there called "postings". All your posted content will be listed chronologically. You can also tick the box to receive email notifications of replies to your comments and/or to watch a thread.

Plum x

16. Archie

Archie Peer Supporter

Brilliant; thankyou :) x

17. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

For those who have not yet registered, it's important to pick a good user name!

Here are my suggestions:

1. The best user/screen name is something that is fairly generic and is easy for others to refer to. That can mean that it's nice and short, or that it includes a short name that is easy to pick out and use. For example, my full screen name is kind of long, but most people get that they can refer to me as Jan (which is in fact my real-life nickname, but it doesn't have to be).

2. We highly recommend that you do NOT pick a name that negatively refers to your struggle with symptoms! You will regret it.

3. And you might want to think twice about choosing something that is overly flowery and/or happy as well - it's possible for those to be somewhat distracting in the long run, as well as awkward for others to use.

Please know that trying to change a user name after people have responded to you or quoted you becomes problematic, because those references to your old name do not change! Someone trying to follow threads with quotes and references to the old name will quickly become confused or distracted and lose sight of valuable content.

Because of that, our policy is that we will not change a user name if there is too much content that can't be changed.

Bearfeet likes this.
  18. LuckLuck

LuckLuck Newcomer

Hi
    I'm new and I'm not sure if I'm writing in the correct place. I've been suffering with low left back pain for about 14 years. I've been diagnosed stenosis, irritable bowel syndrome, fibromyalgia, lime disease, TMJ, IT band syndrom, bilateral hip bursitis and migraines. It was only recently that I heard about Dr Sarno and the Mind Body Connection. When the doctor told me about it something "clicked" inside my brain and I realized that "this is what I have". The doctor wrote the name of the book and the name of the doctor on a prescription pad and I went home and looked up Dr. John Sarno and started to read and learn about TMS. I'm trying to figure out how to get better...and I am getting better! I cancelled the nerve ablation that I had scheduled and I have no intention of ever going back to that doctor again. I'm on the road to recovery and I'm so very thankful.

19. LuckLuck

LuckLuck Newcomer

I signed in with facebook can I change my email?

20. LuckLuck

LuckLuck Newcomer