1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 31 Journal about current stressors

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by JBG1963, Oct 25, 2017.

1. JBG1963

JBG1963 Peer Supporter

Most of my current stress comes from my job. I think my work ethic and need to please others really compounds my work stress. I often think of others' with different personalities doing my job with ease. Add to that my general fear of doing or saying something wrong, especially in group settings like a meeting, and you have the perfect storm for pain that comes from thoughts and feelings. Every time I talk about it or write about it, it becomes laughable to me. On the outside I appear outgoing, assertive, and confident. I don't think most people would have any clue about the inner turmoil that is me on most days. I do feel I've made some progress while working through this process. Mostly I think I need to become more real, more human. I don't have tho be the perfect boss or say the perfect thing or write the perfect report. I think to be more authentic might give me some freedom. I'm so thankful for the tools I'm learning. Any other guidance would be greatly appreciated. Jo

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Jo,

Wonderful understanding, and expression of a healthy aim! One piece which comes up for most folks is observing and working with the Inner Critic, since it tends to restrict us to the more familiar patterns and self-images (like being together, or confident, or whatever). As you explore more freedom to "be myself," I suggest you observe the Inner Critic, and how it likes to have its say. The Inner Critic's activity is often a direct assault on the Inner Child's sense of freedom, safety, enjoyment, authenticity.

Applying this to Dr. Sarno's work, you can imagine, and explore the feelings of the Inner Child in this relationship, and apply this understanding to how symptoms might occur. Then, with more understanding of the actual cause of symptoms, these symptoms tend to subside in time.

Andy B

3. JBG1963

JBG1963 Peer Supporter

Thanks, @Andy B - I appreciate your comments. Yes, I'm working hard lately to let me inner child have some fun, and to soothe her and let her know she's safe. I think its helping. :)

4. Rainbowdash

Rainbowdash Peer Supporter

I realised today that I have this feeling that I'm continuously under attack by someone and I'm constantly on the alert and on the defensive. I guess that can be characterized by the inner critic. There is a never ending dialogue in my head that somehow I'm falling short.

What's helping me is compassion for myself and trying to use a kind voice inside my head.

I read a book called "Unconditional Parenting" and I recommend it to all perfectionists.

JBG1963 likes this.
  5. mandomom

mandomom Newcomer

Hi - I'm new in this forum, website - Got my first Dr. Sarno book a week ago, and it is rocking my world!! In a good way.....totally explains years of pain issues. Overnight I went from despair to hope....haven't cried once since I got the book , when I had been crying numerous times each day, so fed up and despairing....Very big answer to prayer! Thanks all for being here. I just ordered The Great Pain Deception. Been watching Steve's Wall of Victory You Tubes...Amazing stuff!!!

I also have a tough Inner Critic, and am practicing being more in touch with my emotional inner reaction to things when pain is hitting....'thinking psychologically instead of physically'.....And this is where I always land: the Inner Critic rattling on , like an app that is stuck in ON 24 / 7 on my phone!! I know where it is coming from , traumatic childhood....Have already done tons of therapy, 12 step program etc. etc.....but apparently have more to do in this arena! Chronic pain is very motivating!

Wondering: 1) Does anyone know how I can access the new Dr. Sarno documentary?

2) I live west of Boston, MA...Does anyone know of how to access a TMS support group near where I live ? Any possibility of finding a TMS therapist who takes Medicare?

Thank you, Blessings all!

Mandomom

JBG1963 and Tennis Tom like this.
  6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Massachusetts
    [​IMG]
    Alexander Angelov, MD
    Alexander Angelov, MD (Physician)
    Dr Angelov works as a family doctor at NE Medical Practice in Swampscott, MA.
    He says "Since the human body is a self-healing system, our approach is not to treat or fight disease, but, rather, to seek to help the individual rebuild his or her health by balancing the inner-ecology and mental-emotional status of the body by properly evaluating and identifying what brought the patient to their current particular state. We are not interested in diagnosing, as the word is commonly used, or changing your current diagnosis. Our goal is to get you out of your discomfort or disease. Some of the conditions are psychosomatic in nature. It is very difficult to believe, considering all of the propaganda concerning the mechanical approach to conventional medicine. Emotions can create pain, discomfort, heartburn, etc. It has been proven by time that this is a reality. Do you have a psychosomatic condition? We will help you to find and heal it rather than cope with it." (Source)

990 Humphrey Street
    Swampscott, MA 01907
    781-593-8775
    angelkabb@gmail.com
    www.TrueHealingMD.com
    Insurance Accepted: Aetna, Cigna, MassHealth, Medicare, Medicaid, BCBS, United Health, Neighborhood Health, Tufts, Harvard Pilgrim, Optum, BMC

Deborah Conley, LICSW
    Retired.

Allan F. Giesen, DO (Physician)
    Dr. Giesen is a Stanford University trained, third generation physician who received his osteopathic medical training from the University of New England near Kennebunkport, Maine. Dr. Giesen practices biodynamic osteopathy in the cranial field which is a "hands on" holistic approach that capitalizes on the intrinsic self-healing properties of the mind, body, and spirit of an individual as that person is nourished and supported within the greater health of their surroundings. Biodynamic osteopathy is a form of treatment which can be helpful for a variety of ailments including chronic debilitating injuries, specific injuries to the spine, head or neck, headaches, diffuse back pain, gastrointestinal problems, autoimmune illnesses, irritable or anxious moods, and also for anyone who is interested in maximizing their wellness. The healing in biodynamic osteopathy is provided by the patient themselves with Dr. Giesen facilitating an increased awareness and contact with the "health within".(Source)

Wellness Center for the Peace Abbey
    64 Exchange Street
    Millis, MA 02054
    longtide@verizon.net
    Website

Douglas R. Johnson, MD (Physician)
    Charlton Hospital
    Physical Medicine and Rehab
    363 Highland Ave.
    Fall River, MA 02720
    (508) 679-7156
    Insurance Accepted: Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna, Independent Blue Cross, Tufts Health Plans, United Health Care

Additional Massachusetts Practitioner
    Michele Lowenthal, MS

Eugenio Martinez, MD (Physician)
    In a forum post, co-founder of the Boston TMS support group, Veronica, described her appointment with Dr. Martinez. Among other things, she wrote, "I have a TMS doctor and he's great! ... My TMS doctor, Dr. Martinez, is a physiatrist who treats a lot of conditions, not just TMS, so I knew if I had something else besides TMS he would be able to tell me. ... Our appointment was pretty much like what Sarno describes in his books--Dr. M. spent about 1 1/2 hours with me talking about TMS, personality traits, what was going on in my life, childhood, etc. and then also pressing on some of the points Sarno describes that are usually sensitive in people with TMS ... It reassured me to hear that the conditions I had all fell under TMS, and to hear that from a doctor that treats TMS and also other conditions. Dr. Martinez told me to call if I had any different symptoms pop up. That did happen a few times and we would usually just talk about it on the phone and he'd tell me it sounded like more TMS and just to come in if it didn't improve or got worse. To read more, click here.

Boston, Massachusetts
    617 754-5246
    781 444-5080
    emartine@caregroup.harvard.edu
    or
    Pro Sports Orthopedics
    200 Providence Highway
    Dedham, MA 02026
    emartine@caregroup.harvard.edu
    (781) 326-7108
    (781) 326-5839 Fax

Jay Rosenfeld, MD (Physician)
    Rehabilitation Hospital of the Cape and Islands
    311 Service Road
    East Sandwich, MA 02537
    (508) 833-4160
    (508) 833-4195 fax
    Website
    Insurance Accepted: Most major providers including Blue Cross Blue Shield, Harvard Pilgrim Healthcare (including First Seniority®), Tufts Health Plan (including Tufts Medicare Preferred), Medicaid, CHAMPUS and other military insurance plans

Ronald D. Siegel, PsyD (Therapist)
    Dr Siegel is an Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychology at Harvard Medical School where he has taught for the past 25 years. In 1988, he was disabled by back pain. His personal experience led him to develop the treatments described in his book. He is co-author of "Backsense:: A Revolutionary Approach to Halting the Cycle of Chronic Back Pain." He is also coeditor of Mindfulness and Psychotherapy (Guilford, 2005) and maintains a private practice in Lincoln, Massachusetts specializing in the treatment of chronic pain. He says "This new approach to chronic back pain is based on the emerging scientific consensus that most chronic back pain is caused by stress, fear, muscle tension, and inactivity, rather than by damaged or defective spinal structures. Despite being stress-related, the pain is certainly not imagined or "all in your head." We know that it is completely real. Muscle tension and spasms can cause intense pain. (Source 1) (Source 2)

20 Long Meadow Road
    Lincoln, MA 01773
    Website
    (781) 259-3434
    Main Wiki Page on Ronald Siegel

7. mandomom

mandomom Newcomer

Thank you , Tennis Tom, for sending me all this info!
    Mandomom

Tennis Tom likes this.
  8. Tennis Tom

Hi Mandomom, don't know if this group is still active :

Boston TMS Support Group

The Boston Chapter of the PPD/TMS Peer Network hosts an informal discussion group for people with PPD/TMS. It has been meeting once a month continuously since the summer of 2012. The group meets in a variety of locations in the Greater Boston area with the goal of supporting one another in recovering from TMS.

The purpose of the meetings are to

1. start building an active community of Boston TMSers and
    2. learn from one another by helping build connections between people who are recovering from PPD/TMS and those who have already recovered.
    Upcoming Meetings
    [​IMG]
    The Boston Support Group is on hiatus until the fall of 2013. Its most recent meeting was held on Wednesday, July 24th, 2013 6:30pm - 8:30pm in Brookline. For more information, send a private message to group organizer Forest.
    Organizing a Support Group
    TMS affects people all over the world, but there are only a couple of TMS in-person support groups. If you are interested in starting your own support group the PTPN is here to help you. For more information on how to do this visit Organizing a TMS Support Group.

9. mandomom

mandomom Newcomer

Thanks so much Tennis Tom! I will try to contact Forest, just in case this Boston group is still active.

I may, down the road , start a support group....I am so taken with all of this info I am learning (it's only been a week!), fitting my long adult life exactly, that I hope / plan to be another healed person wanting to help others. So thank you also for sending the Organizing a Group link.

Best wishes!

Mandomom

Tennis Tom likes this.
  10. JBG1963

JBG1963 Peer Supporter

@Rainbowdash I see in your last post to this thread you brought up self-compassion-on the exact day that I bought the book "self-compassion" by Kristin Neff. Great minds . . . @mandomom --welcome to the forum and to the journey. It sounds like you're optimistic-this is half the battle! Good luck on your journey. It sounds like there are a lot of choices for support services in your area. We have none in Central Illinois and hardly any in the state! If anyone knows of a tms therapist near me, please share. I'm glad for you!

11. Rainbowdash

Rainbowdash Peer Supporter

@JBG1963 - It looks like you and I are running on parallel tracks find the same things at the same time. Like you said "Great minds think alike" ;)

@mandomom - Welcome to this roller coaster ride. Hope you feel better soon welcomea

12. Tennis Tom

Illinois
    Peter R. Brown, PsyD, DAAPM, FABMP (Therapist)
    Pain Psychologist
    Noninvasive Healthcare Institute, Ltd
    9601 West 165th Street, Suite 6
    Orland Park, IL 60467
    drsatbrownstone@yahoo.com
    (708) 646-8070

[​IMG]
    John StracksJohn Stracks, MD
    (Physician)
    Dr. Stracks believes that the mind and body are intimately connected and that almost all disease processes involve an interplay between the two. His training in integrative medicine has taught him that all treatment plans must include not only a mind and body component but a social and spiritual component as well. In addition, Dr. Stracks believes that the most powerful interventions involve changes in nutrition, activity level, and other lifestyle areas, and he works to partner with patients to effect these changes. Dr. Stracks believes that many conditions can be controlled or even reversed with mind-body techniques, lifestyle changes, and other integrative therapies, and he likes working with patients and their primary physicians to safely reduce medication use whenever possible. (Source)

Northwestern Memorial Physicians Group Center
    for Integrative Medicine and Wellness
    1100 E. Huron Street Suite 1100
    Chicago, IL 60611
    312-926-DOCS (3627)
    jstracks@yahoo.com
    Co-host of first TMS conference.
    TMS Wiki Profile / Survey Response / Q&A Answers / Website
    Insurance Accepted: Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna, Humana, Medicaid, Medicare, TriCare, Unicare, UnitedHealthcare, and other PPO network plans

JBG1963 likes this.
  13. JBG1963

JBG1963 Peer Supporter

Thank you, @Tennis Tom I'll have to check them out.

14. mandomom

mandomom Newcomer

Thank you everyone! I just bought the Self Compassion book, so thank you for that....When I do the emotional check ins, 'thinking psychologically, not physically", this is the pattern that always comes up : the opposite of self compassion....like a 'beat myself up' pattern , that seems to have this non stop committee commenting in that direction about most everything....I knew this was an issue , that I have spent time in therapy about, believe me (childhood stuff) ....but to see the extent of the habit of it.....no wonder I have physical pain! "beat myself up" = physical pain.

Anyway, in my excitement , I think I have jumped into a thread not intended for newcomer comments and questions. My apologies! I have not had much experience on forums , and see I should go read the basic FAQs about this one....Then I'll come in later on the newcomer section. Thank you all for your kindness and patience and welcomes....Later.... Blessings all!
    Mandomom

15. JBG1963

JBG1963 Peer Supporter

Thanks for your comments, @mandomom I think one of the best things about this forum is that I learn so much from others' perspectives on this crazy ride we are all on. No need to worry about jumping in here, there is no protocol. :)

16. mandomom

mandomom Newcomer

Thank you JBG....Yes, it sure is a crazy ride, but to be in community on the matter here is really quite amazing - The terrible isolation and loneliness is over! Blessings to you :)

JBG1963 likes this.