1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

JJ Watt back surgery

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by dharn999, Sep 18, 2016.

1. dharn999

dharn999 Well known member

While watching the Chiefs v Texans game today, they brought up JJ Watts back surgery that he had during the offseason. It made him miss all of training camp and they said he still isn't 100% but he won't sit out and still can perform at a high level.

Now here is the interesting thing about his surgery. He said he didn't know he had a disc problem, it was seen on an MRI he had given by the team dr.

I'm assuming that the MRI is probably a pre season measurement taken by the franchise to make sure their top dollar guys are healthy, and I gues he had a serious bulging disc.... But no pain..... The team dr. Suggested a clean up of the disc to prevent further injury, but he had no pain to indicate injury to start...

Now if you are unfamiliar with Watt, he's a freak of nature and his workouts are 5-6 hrs long and include him lifting 1000 lb tractor tires along with other amazing things... So yeah, if he didn't have a disc out of align at this point in his life then something is wrong lol.. But he said he felt fine and didn't know he had a disc bulging, but I'm going to guess when you are under contracts in the NFL, and a team is built around you, they decide your surgeries..

Anyway, found it pretty interesting that one of the most in shape humans in the world had a sever buldging disc with no pain.... Supports Sarno's theory (fact) that discs don't cause pain

Chizzy, Steve J. and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. Brant

Brant Peer Supporter

I know interesting and also sad.....now he's rehurt it and may be a career finished even though he did the original surgery when he had no pain....it has to be TMS but will he or sports team western doctors or even society ever really accept that...crazy, maybe someone will direct him to Sarno and I almost bet if he "accepted and embraced" TMS he would be his pre-surgery self.

3. TheKingAdRock

TheKingAdRock New Member

interesting. i've also wondered how many athletes 'injuries' are really just due to TMS. obviously a lot of real injuries occur, especially in contact sports but a lot of time you'll see guys sit out for 'pulled hamstring' but they will be walking around fine on the sideline, not something you'd do if your hamstring was actually torn.

or last year during the world series they were talking about the mets 3rd basemen and how he had to warm up for 3 hours before each game just to get 'loose' and not have his back lock up. can't remember all the symptoms or 'injuries' they said he had