1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Its the Reacting not Acting

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I remember one tool I used when I'd be in pain and it still works to swarm off anxiety -- If I have an issue now, I find that if I keep busy I don't notice it at all. This also means keeping my mind busy on the things that won't set it off.

The minute I start focusing on something stupid I've done or about some problem which I have no control over, I let the thought wash over me for a brief moment. When that happens, I stop for a moment and say to myself, "What was the thought that provoked that feeling."

Then, I deal with the thought and try to accept it in a positive way and move on. You will start to notice a pattern that certain thoughts bring the feeling/pain/sensation on. It might even help to keep track of these thoughts by writing them down.

For myself, I have developed a pattern of thinking that invokes the symptom to wash over me. So then I can ignore the symptom after Facing and Accepting then Letting go or Releasing. I work on this at times since I've been healed its been more of just fine tuning concepts I've learned. The symptom used to be major -- now its usually something small like a finger pain but ill use my new tool for any pain.

Its Focusing or Somatic Experiencing as I know it now. These tools combined with the Tms Knowledge will help you to better control your emotional states.

Bless You

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    Jilly likes this.
  2. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

You really need to stay on top of it....daily attending and really changing your focus on a conscious level. Thanks Eric, your'e keeping me in line :rolleyes:

3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

4. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Some good things to incorporate into the day. Thanks Eric!

BG

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

thank you beach-girl

6. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Wow Eric, I've never applied this type of consciousness to my daily life, it's what it takes when treating TMS. Thanks again :) * hugs

7. Eric "Herbie" Watson

thank you jilly-we do the work-we reap the benefits-then we help others by telling our storys
    and we reap more benefits-its a good cycle i plan being a part of for a long time

Jilly likes this.
  8. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Good ! Keep the wisdom and stories flowing !

9. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Another hint:

My therapist had me write out my own affirmations. I repeat them as often as I can during the day. It's to help retrain self talk. My inner dialog needs some attention, and this is working well for me.

BG

eric watson and Jilly like this.
  10. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

I also read it is important not only to repeat these affirmations but to do so with belief, passion, and energy. To really FEEL the quality of the affirmations ... breath life into them, embrace them, and truly enjoy the realty of the affirmations.

eric watson likes this.
  11. deborah a burns

deborah a burns Peer Supporter

12. deborah a burns

Eric, I guess I don't quite follow you. what's your pattern of thinking? I'm really trying to find a different way to approach my thought patterns. thanks

13. Eric "Herbie" Watson

hello deborah-thanks for the question-see we journal and we face our surpressions and repressions there a bit often-its the emtions in our bodys that r causing the pain anyway along with our reactions and conditioning but you see when im done with my facing or looking into the psycological realm of my emotions other than reconditioning traits i dont want to go back over my repressions as i go thru the day-been there did the work and so i move on with my day always on a positive note-
    not keeping on re-visiting the same surpressed or repressed emotion that i undug in my morning jounaling session but if it does try to come on im not going to fight it in the sense by pounding to ignore it-ill let the emotion float over me and face it again if i have too-see i dont have to run from the bully anymore-(the repressed or surrpressed thought) i can face it-look at it-dont worry about it and by doing this the anxiety from the emotion will cease to attack, you see-
    a lot os times ill wonder what did i think of that brought on that emotion-if i can stop that trigger then im well on my way to ceasing the hurtful emotion in its tracks there too.if i remember the trigger i write it doun so i can work on reverseing my perception of the trigger by positive affirmations-i know this sounds like a lot but i think you should get my point-see i face the problem-let the feelings rear there ugly head-accept that its either not really as bad as i perceieved it to be or thats the way it is and then reframe my perception of it by thinking optimisticly-(looking for any or all the good in the bad)and in time i find that i have re-programmed my way of thinking about whatever the situation might be....

deborah a burns and Jilly like this.
  14. deborah a burns

Thanks Eric it took me a while but I get it. Thanks Deb

Jilly likes this.
  15. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

I wish we all were closer so we could meet like they are doing in Boston ... I would love to listen to Eric explain all of this ...
    Thanks Eric...your'e really helping us here ;)

eric watson and deborah a burns like this.
  16. deborah a burns

agreed, it would be great to meet peeps who're in close proximetry to each other!!!

17. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Solution: everyone needs to move to Boston :)

18. Eric "Herbie" Watson

-

jilly-thank you for your kind words
    true -it seems to me if i could talk with someone in a conferance
    or in person,then we could really colaborate
    then i could convey the concepts better-
    sometimes its like someone will say-"(well' ill just show ya when i get there)"

Jilly likes this.
  19. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Do you all know about the chat on Saturdays at 3:00 EST? It's not the same as meeting in person, but it's in real time and very helpful. This is the link: http://tmswiki.org/chat/

Jilly likes this.
  20. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

See you all there ! Can't wait !:p