1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

It is a tad tough at the moment

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by quasar731, May 19, 2012.

1. quasar731

quasar731 Well known member

Hello dear peers in this most amazing walk,

I am on my 4th day following the structured program. For a while nowI have read the books on TMS by Dr Sarno and Dr Schubiner. I have also read as many of your postings about your experiences. I have absolute confidence that I am on the right path and believe intrinsically on the TMS story...and I am in pain at the moment. Sometimes the pain in both my hips disables my walk. A difficult thing to take for a very fit person. And though what I feel is real, I debate plenty with my mind the reason for my pain.

Also, every time I know that is time to sit and do the structured program, I get nausea and a feeling like I want to run away. I do not abide by the symptoms or impulses to sabotage myself. I valiantly confront a difficult story of upbringing though something in me cringes:( . It is almost as if I am in cognitive dissonance. I thank God for my background in psychology, otherwise I would begin to believe that I have a split personality.

An interesting phenomena. I have many positive and loving friends, when I am with them in that positive realm of praising God and life for all the goodness that there is my pain disappears. This reinforces the fact that what I have is nothing short of TMS. The more I say that I am working on this TMS project and the more I smile and talk positively, the more the pain fades in the background.

Thank you for allowing me to express the amazing internal and external experiences I am going through in this public forum.

2. chumba

chumba Peer Supporter

Quasar, working through TMS is a tough journey. I have worked through it once and it's still tough the second time. The hardest part is acceptance, it isn't a fight but a journey of acceptance. For me it is about making peace with a part of myself so I can relate to the feeling of split personality. I think that the feeling of a split personality is created by the inner emotional child that has developed some very poor coping strategies.

In the structured programming the penny dropped for me when saw Dr Schubiner's video explaining the role of the amygdala which is the seat of emotional memory and has a direct line to the Autonomic nervous system. It is work but I have found it rewarding in gaining a better understanding of who I am.

3. quasar731

quasar731 Well known member

Hi Chumba,

Many thanks for your reply, I so appreciate you sharing some aspects of your journey. I was concerned about writing re: pain since we are trying to work the pain away. But I am glad that it is understood that the journey for some of us could become a tad protracted.

It is comforting to hear about your journey, specially when it has 'some' similar elements to mine, not only from a psychological point of view but also from the pain experience (which is also psychologically orchestrated). I think what is saving the day for me is that I am embracing this project with a blind faith. My scientific background is helping my faith in Dr Sarno's program. I need explanations that make sense and are tested by evidence based medicine. He and Dr Schubiner lead the way in this regard.

I was interested to read about your comments re: the amygdala, what a piece of wonder work that part of us is! I have done a lot of work on the deep structures of the brain (I did psychology). In particular I concentrated on the limbic system. There is where our friend the amygdala 'the seat of emotions'. Professor Candece Pert wrote a number of books, one in particular that I can recommend (if you have not read it yet) is: Molecules of Emotions and Your Body is your Subconscious. They are amazing books that put in context our emotional biological bodies.

Anyway, lovely to have met you. I wish you every success and thank you again for taking your time to write.

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

In case some of you haven't seen it yet, here is the video where Dr. Schubiner explains the Autonomic nervous system and the amygdala

Like you quasar, I also have always been drawn to the evidence based medicine Dr. Sarno and Dr. Schubiner focus on. Dr. Schubiner actually has a trial that showed the TMS approach is effective in treating fibromaylgia. The more research that is done on TMS, the more the other physicians will begin to take notice.

It is interesting that you mention you begin to feel nausea when you go to work the program. It seems like this is TMS at play trying to prevent you from doing the work. It is almost funny at the lengths our unconscious mind will go to distract us! The good thing is that it sounds like you have great faith and believe in this approach, which will really help you make progress. Simply be a sponge and absorb as much information about these conditions as you can. The more we learn, the more our unconscious mind absorbs the ideas, and then real change can take place. Remember, you are on the right path and in the right place.

Best,

Forest

Rinkey likes this.