1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is tinnitus tms?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by NameK, Nov 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. NameK

NameK Well known member

Hey so I'm not sure my if I still have a slight ringing in my ear i think its probably my anxiety but I the last 5 years I've been to quite a few concerts. Also I used to listen to my headphones pretty loud for the job before that i was allowed to all day as for my job for the last two years I've been driving around listening to the music at 30 out of 60.

So I'm not sure if I have tinnitus as I've had the ringing after concerts but it usually passes the next day. But whbe it's dead quiet I've noticed there might be a slight ringing but idk if it's my anxiety causing it or I actually messed up my hearing.

Any success with dealing with tinnitus as tms ? I dont think i have it but i might and I'm scared I'm gonna have it forever if i do

2. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

It is a common tms problem symptom. Tinnitus was my first symptom preceeding neck and shoulder pain by a few months. Once I learned about tms and Dr Sarno it was the first of my symptoms to go away. When I developed tinnitus I went to my doctor to rule out anything wrong with my ears. It was very obvious to her my hearing is still excellent so she said she couldn't find any cause.
    Go to your doctor to find out if it's an infection
    or hearing loss and if they find nothing, you know 100% it's tms.

3. NameK

NameK Well known member

Well the thing about my gp is she pretty much dismisses every health issue I have as its probably anxiety so I'm not sure what to do. Maybe I'll go see another walk in clinic doctor on Saturday to rule out any infection and I'm pretty sure Idlnt have hearing loss as I can hear fine might even be ear wax build up or my sinus could be plugged up

My anxiety always thinks worst case scenario and it makes my symptoms worse in the last year or so I've had back pain foot pain eye pain etc ans most of it has gotten better because well I'm not worrying about it but I start focusing and worrying about another health issue like right now I'm worried if I've done damage to my ears from all the loud music and sounds I've exposed my ears to and sure enough I started reading about tinnitus and boom I start thinking I have it and I've been incredibly anxious about it since last week .

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  4. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Does it sound like thousands of crickets? Sometimes I wonder if it IS crickets. I'm out in the country and partially insane, lol. Hope this helps.

In all seriousness, it may just go away in time. Mine comes and goes....and always has.

5. NameK

NameK Well known member

No mine is more like a faint ringing but I was just in a dead quiet room and it was super hard to notice I had to try and listen for it. I could have had it for some time now and never noticed it because my rook and environment is almost never silent.

6. EileenS

You have mentioned since your initial posting that you have anxiety and your doctor has diagnosed other problems as your anxiety. If you have to try hard to notice the ringing when in a dead quiet room, then you DON'T have ringing on your ears. Everyone has that. Everyone. The head isn't completely silent. This is your anxiety trying to rule you again.

7. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

TMS means your hypervigilant. Like Eileen said: Our heads aren't quiet and our surroundings aren't either. That explains partly why you hear 'ringing' or high pitched sounds or notice your blood pumping around like a mad man for example. That said, not all tinnitus is TMS imho, but the benign tinnitus from TMS/anxiety is quite common (and is not seldom accompanied by tension in the muscles of the neck/head). Try smiling about such sounds instead of fearing them. Just try to be careful in future; wear earplugs when you go to a concert and turn the volume down of your headphones.

8. NameK

NameK Well known member

I am seeing a doctor today to see what they think I will report back after

9. lowella

lowella Peer Supporter

Here is what helped me with tinnitus. It can't hurt you, it's just a signal. 1. smile as you listen to it, as you fall asleep. 2. visualize something pleasant that makes a similar pitch, whether it's a loud guitar note or a boat engine or a running brook...fall asleep and you'll forget about it by the time you wake up ;)

Sofa likes this.
  10. Artmuzz

Artmuzz Well known member

I remember a couple of years ago being freaked out by tinnitus in my right ear. This was when I started suffering panic attacks and chronic anxiety and I booked myself an appointment for a hearing test. My results were I had normal hearing and the doctor told me that the tinnitus sounds are due to anxiety and also blood flow and during anxiety senses are heightened. Amazingly, once she reassured me I stopped getting bother from tinnitus.

Recently, I’ve had a stressful few weeks and feeling anxious and tense most of the time and I have been experiencing low rumbling tinnitus in my right ear which I think is caused by emotional stress, muscle tension and anxiety. I do think this could be TMS. The low rumbling tinnitus is only noticeable when I’m stressed and anxious. I would describe the low rumbling tinnitus as like hearing a stationary truck outside with the engines still running or the sound of a gas boiler. It is quite disconcerting.

lowella likes this.
  11. NameK

NameK Well known member

Im just really scared me because people on tinnitus talk are saying I can't use my gaming setup anymore and how I shouldn't go to an upcoming concert in December and how I shouldn't get my ear wax removed via irrigation on Monday as all these things could make my tinnitus worse. I'm also scared mine might be noise induced

12. EileenS

NameK, Don't go on forums for tinnitus! All you are doing is scaring yourself and creating more anxiety. First of all when you go onto such a forum, you are self-diagnosing. Second, you are communing with people who are sharing symptoms and not really trying to get better. I have heard many mind body experts say that we/people with tms need to stay off those types of forums that are concentrating on issues as purely a physical issue. They drag anyone down and people who get TMS are very susceptible to be influenced by other people's problems. Same goes for any type of googling of your symptoms. Don't go to Dr Google as it only heightens anxiety.

By the way, my son has had his ear wax removed via irrigation a few times and all that has happened is his ear wax comes out. It has helped him with ear infections.

starseed and Gigalos like this.
  13. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

My two cents... it sounds like overreacting to me...
    Yes you can use your gaming setup, just turn the volume to a normal level that makes you hear everything and not louder. If you have doubts, ask somebody to listen and tell you if he/she feels it is too loud.
    Yes you can go to the concert, just use ear plugs like many other people nowadays do. If your ears start to hurt, go home, the music is still too loud then.
    Yes you can get your ear wax removed although their is really no need unless your ear canals are really shallow or clogged up with other stuff. Don't clean the canals deeply with a cue tip and your ears will be perfectly able to clean themselves in future. Wax is normal, just let it be there as its purpose is to protect your ears. I have heard more than one story where ear problems (infections) suddenly cleared up after people stopped cleaning their hearing canals. Why not ask the doc or assistant to check if it is really necessary first?

Hope it helps you... take care

EileenS likes this.
  14. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Just to confirm what the others have said before: you are overreacting! Remember, you did that before with other symptoms. Btw: you say you are not sure if you hear a sound in your ears and therefore you are not sure if you have tinnitus. Believe me, you know when you have a sound in your ear! To me it seems that you are more concerned what might happen in the future because you had sometimes be exposed to loud music. Calm down, we all are at times. I had a ringing sound in my ears after a door slammed very loudly. Next day it was gone. One feels almost deaf after a loud concert, yes, me too, wear ear plugs! And instead of spending this day googling, do something else. And if you just take a book and go to nearest Starbucks or whatever is around where you live.

15. NameK

NameK Well known member

I hope your right I feel like I am obsessing over this like my other issues on the past and I definitely notice a ringing sound when it's dead quiet in my right ear. I stupidly was on a fourm dedicated to it and alot od those people were saying using my gaming headset,going to concerts and even getting my ear flushed with warm water (irrigated ) can make it worse this has gotten my anxiety to raise to the point I cant sleep. I've been depressed all I wanna do is lay in my bed but I know looking it up isn't gonna do me any good. I need to forget about it

16. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Precisely! Do something nice this Sunday!