1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is this TMS???

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Asherman27, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Asherman27

Asherman27 New Member

Hello all!

I’m new to this site but so far it’s been soooo informative.

I will keep my story brief! I’m 41 and 7 months ago my first symptom was the arches of my feet itching. Ironically it would only happen at work and at 6pm. I look back and I wasn’t fond of the job i was doing. Then the itching persisted but it would happen earlier and earlier. It was super bothersome and I worried about It coming back.
    I then started to get sharp nerve like pain on my shins and forearms. These pains would come and go and was never consistent. One minute i would get like a sting like pain on my arm/hand and it went away. Then maybe on my leg. Well I got super worried and made appointments with a pediatrist (saw nothing wrong just a high arch) allergist (no allergic reaction to anything). Then a neurologist who did nerve testing and concluded all was ok. Decided to order an mri of brain (to rule out MS) along with neck and back. I had some herniated discs in the neck and lumbar area. So the arrivistes the pain to that. But I never had any actual back or neck pain. I also found out I had Chiari brain malformation that I was born with. I ten was referred to a neurosurgeon and he cleared me saying I didn’t display any othe malformation symptoms and didn’t think I would need surgery. As you can guess that was an extremely stressful time for this anxiety ridden lady.

I stopped all physical activity (lifted weights and yoga) thinking I didn’t want to damage anything further. I also stepped down from a position I had because I felt like sittingThis of course made me feel like my life had stopped. I felt like all I could do was just sit or lay down. I did a course of anti inflammatory medications and it helped a little. I then did holistic things to reduce the symptoms. Tried Rolfing, physical therapy and acupuncture along with herbs and diet change (no gluten, caffeine or sugar).

The pain will be really good one day and then it may return and now it’s like I have the “crawly skin on my legs and arms. I’m reading the divided mind right now (just started) and read the meaning of truth by Nicole Sachs. I believe TMS is what I have but it’s so hard to look past the mri stuff. I’ve always had anxiety (hx of eating disorder as teen and postpartum anxiety after the both of my son) perfectionistic traits and was always the person that took care of others.

I guess I just needed to to vent out my story and see if anyone had any words of encouragement. I working on trying to accept TMS as being the reason behind all of this. It’s just been a hard road.

Thanks again for all of the great info on here.
    Amy

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. yinyang

yinyang New Member

Hi Amy,
    Yes, based on what you've said, I think you're on the right track. Because doctors have ruled out anything serious, TMS would be the accurate diagnosis. Itching can serve the same purpose as the other TMS symptoms, to serve as a distraction. It did for me. Because your pain moves around and is inconsistent, these are hallmarks of TMS. Fear and preoccupation with the symptoms will prolong your condition. This is one of the hardest parts to overcome in TMS healing. Have you had a chance to look at Alan Gordon's pain recovery program on the site? I recommend going through each day, but especially reviewing The Fear Matrix: http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/day-6-the-fear-matrix.16495/ (New Program - Day 6: The Fear Matrix)

The good news is that you found this site and are open to learning about what it takes to heal. There are also wonderful success stories people have shared that can provide hope for you. We are all here to support you on your path to healing.

MindBodyPT and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. Asherman27

Asherman27 New Member

I can’t thank you enough! I’m currently reading Steve ozanzchs book and doing the SEP program! I have really good days with barely any issues (usually when I’m distracted). It’s more noticeable when I’m “working or fearing” the symptoms to return if I have a day planned with fun things. Obviously they happen because I’m putting fear in control. It’s all a process. But this forum and info has been a lifesaver!

readytoheal likes this.