1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is this TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by AshleyAV, Feb 3, 2016.

1. AshleyAV

AshleyAV New Member

Is fibro TMS?

I am posting this question looking for reassurance as I am experiencing anxiety over this question. Sometimes I think it is but then I second guess when there are so many people out in the world/media who are dead set on proving that this is a real diseases with some yet to be discovered biological link or that it is overactive nerves (what the hay?).

My interpretation of fibro (please no one be offended by this, it's not my intent), is that it is not a real disease. The more I research it the more I come to this conclusion. I came across a book called "Hystories," that identifies this along with Chronic Fatigue and other syndromes with no known cause as overall being a response to emotional distress/hysteria that takes on a life of its own when people push to make something labeled as a real disease so as to finally feel validated (I think this is ego trying to soothe itself). I think the reason more and more people are pushing to label this as a real disease with a biological link is that people cannot fathom the idea that they are behind their own suffering (again I think this is ego). It's so offensive to them. But when you look at a lot of chronic illness like syndromes and pain where nothing structural can ever be found, it is hard to overlook the common denominator in this situation, which is the sufferer. These are some of my thoughts. I'd appreciate any person's two cents.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  2. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

I've never suffered from, nor recovered from fibromyalgia. But from everything I've seen and read, I would say yes. It is TMS.

3. kitkatie124

kitkatie124 New Member

I have "fibro" was also told Lyme cfs whatever you want to call it. Those symptoms went away for the most part when I decided they don't matter. I have different symptoms now I can't seem to get rid of! Lol

4. Laughalot

Laughalot Peer Supporter

Hey Ashley,

I have never had fibromyalgia, but believe that it is generally included as TMS. We want to find structural reasons for our TMS pain because it allows us to externalize the issue rather than examine how we are feeling about a situation.

So in your case, it's worth asking: what is happening emotionally/psychologically when those fibro symptoms appear?

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Yep, I would definitely consider Fibromyalgia to be TMS. It's one of the most clearcut diagnoses.

I was actually diagnosed with Fibromyalgia (by Don Goldenberg, a FMS author), and the TMS approach gave me my life back.

You might want to check out some of our other threads tagged with fibromyalgia:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/tags/fibromyalgia-fms/

6. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I have been diagnosed with fibro, and have found it to be TMS.
    However, the pain is quite real, hence the need to address it just like any other TMS pain.
    I'm a bit sensitive to people who first hear about TMS pain and say, "Oh, so it wasn't real?" The pain is all too real. The source is just different from what people are accustomed to.

kitkatie124 likes this.
  7. kitkatie124

kitkatie124 New Member

I agree I couldn't even walk in the summer !

8. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I was in a wheelchair for a while, and couldn't walk well for two years. You'd never know it now!

Tennis Tom and kitkatie124 like this.
  9. kitkatie124

kitkatie124 New Member

I'm having trouble getting rid of ic pelvic pain now :(

10. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr. SarnO and the community of TMS experts, ALL say FIB-rO is TMS-O, including Steve-O. When I was Dx'ed with "clinical depression/TMS" by a shrink, I could just as well been given a fibro Dx.