1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is this TMS or...?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Layne, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Layne

Layne Well known member

Today I was feeling very tired so I didn't go to the gym like I had planned. In the past, I would avoid going to the gym when feeling this tired because I knew it would take a few days for me to recover my strength and I am afraid to be over tired at work.

I used to be a go-go-go, non-stop, have to get everything done kind of girl and since seeing a naturopath I have slowed way way down. Her explanation for the IBS was that because my life was non stop, so were my bowel movements. Since slowing down I will admit that the IBS is 100x better. But I have also done lots of other things that may have helped so it's difficult to pinpoint exactly what it is that made the most difference. So, since she was right about that and some other things, I figured she was right when she told me I needed to listen to my body and if it said rest, I needed to rest. So today I rested. But then I began thinking that maybe I needed to push through and challenge the fatigue and that by resting I was actually reinforcing the TMS.

I will say that I used to LIVE on caffeine to accomplish all of my to-do's. So, according to the naturopath, I had run my adrenals ragged using fake energy and ended up with adrenal fatigue and a wacky endocrine system. Now, I believe all dis-ease originates in the emotional body but that doesn't change the fact that my hormones are out of whack and my adrenals are tired, so I need to take care of my body in that regard, yeah? I guess I am just confused about when to rest and when to push through...

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Whatever it takes to stop putting so much self-imposed pressure on yourself is the right path to follow.

Layne likes this.
  3. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

Seems to me there has to be a healthy balance of care to your spiritual, emotional, and physical needs - any one of them being neglected is a recipe for disaster. Rest and nutrition are important components to caring for all aspects of your needs. When the body experiences any type of stress (emotional, physical, etc) the brain activates the adrenal glands to increase adrenaline production to "power" through the stress. I've learned the B vitamins play a key role in adrenaline production, and your body does not store them so there are no "reserves" to call on. They are either there when they're needed or they aren't. Research has shown that the majority of adults in western society experience constant stress - of course some days are worse than others, but if stress is a constant - naturally follows that B vitamin consumption in the production of adrenaline would be as well. Most of us spend a good amount of time as B vitamin deficient so the energy level is low, taking our mood and our thoughts with it.