1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is this common TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by happystar, Apr 26, 2012.

1. happystar

happystar Peer Supporter

It seems to me that everyday I either have a headache (which I attribute to hypoglycemia) or painful/tingly legs and feet. They usually alternate each other... if I have one I don't have the other. So I am wondering if this is common with TMS? Like there is always something.
    Thanks!

2. Lori

Lori Well known member

Yes it is common for symptoms to move around.

3. MsMetaP

MsMetaP Peer Supporter

Those were some of my first symptoms. I did get checked for diabetes, since those can also indicate that, but thankfully, that was not the case.

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

As Lori said, symptoms move around. It is common with TMS. Symptoms move around to keep you focused on them, hence the need to think psychological. A large part of being successful at this comes with accepting the diagnosis, so no matter where your symptoms move to you view them as TMS and so there is nothing to worry about.

5. Shanshu Vampyr

Shanshu Vampyr Well known member

Hi happystar,

Yes, symptoms most definitely can move around; that's part of Sarno 101. (Please don't read a condescending tone into that; it's always hard to express emotion in text. :) ) Conversely, as sometimes happens with me, it can also be very TMS to stick in one spot seemingly forever.

Good luck!

6. happystar

happystar Peer Supporter

Thanks guys! Your feedback is much appreciated. I actually have hypoglycemia (not diabetes), and I know Sarno mentions it in his book. My blood sugar actually drops (I have a meter). Do you know of anyone who has treated "real hypoglycemia" as TMS and healed? Thanks !

7. Forest

Hiya Happystar,

If you have non-diabetic, i.e. not serious, hypoglycemia then it is likely that TMS is at play. TMS/PPD can create a wide range of symptoms and a drop in blood sugar could be one of these symptoms. Do you have other TMS symptoms? If so, this could be simply the symptom imperative. I found Dr. Sarno's quote on page 121 of the Mindbody Prescription to be interesting:

It sounds like there is definitely a stress component to this and is something to keep in mind. TMS tries to create symptoms that will distract us from expressing our emotions. It seems like this is really keeping your focus on your blood sugar levels instead of your emotions. Try focusing on your emotions when you notice and change in your blood sugar and see what happens. Of course, it does sound like a slight diet adjustment, as Sarno mentioned, may also help start a placebo affect to raise your blood sugar level.

8. happystar

happystar Peer Supporter

Thanks Forest.
    My hypoglycemia gets worse when I am under stress. The doctor has me on a constant monitor for one week to see what the pattern of the blood sugar is (even during the night when I am sleeping). This constant monitor is a device where I can see what the level is at all times, and of course I am only thinking about that!!! And it creates fear and anxiety when I see that the number is low (which exacerbates the symptoms). I cannot wait for him to remove it tomorrow!!! Regarding the diet, I've change it to a hypoglycemic diet (basically a diabetic diet - I eat every 2 - 3 hours) and it helps. When I eat what I want, my sugar just goes up a bit and then drops very rapidly and I feel terrible. I will try what you suggest. I also have painful / tingly feet and legs. And anxiety (I am on meds for this as I could not deal with it without them - I was having daily panic attacks). I think it is all related. I am totally the TMS type of patient... wanting to please everyone, being "perfect", etc. I also have gone through major stresses in my life in the last year. Regardless if this hypoglycemia is TMS or not, I will definitely benefit from following Dr. Sarno's therapy. I need to work on my feelings and emotions, I have so many things I need to face and I've been so consumed with my symptoms that I of course have not had the energy/time. I started the structured program 3 days ago. It is awesome and very well organized. I hope one day I will feel good gain. Thank you so much for your help! You rock :)

9. happystar

happystar Peer Supporter

Ok, well I proved this to myself. I had the glucose monitor the whole week (they removed it yesterday) and my feet/legs issues were much, much less!! Now, this morning, my pain is escalating again... My mind was busy with checking the blood sugar levels the whole week, and now that I do not have it anymore I am back to my other symptoms. Amazing what mind does!

10. Forest

It sounds like TMS is involved here. When you had the monitor your focus was on it, so you didn't need to have symptoms because the monitor served as your distraction. With that gone, your symptoms reappeared because your mind needed something to distract you from your emotions. Laugh at how silly TMS is. Don't worry about whether your symptoms increased or not. Focus on the underlying emotions and go about your day. Once you recognize it as TMS, there is nothing left to fear.