1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 15 Is pain moving

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by resilient, Mar 12, 2017.

1. resilient

resilient New Member

During the past week, my pain has both moved and has gotten very intense. It has been about 6.5 weeks since my abdominal surgery and I rarely used pain meds, and never an entire pill, this week I gave up and took several medications. It has been a real struggle. I feel like I am getting worse, not better. However, I was able to walk about 7 miles (not all at once) one day this week and I have started doing some simple exercises. Just wish it would go away now!

2. If 6 was 9

If 6 was 9 Peer Supporter

My pain might not even be comparable with yours since you've been through surgery, but I recently tried to hold out against the pain and found myself give in and take painkillers just so I could get through the working day. I think sometimes it's necessary and it's counterproductive to continue to be a stoic and cop all the pain.

I originally was hoping for a miracle with this program since we've read about those people who were cured by reading Sarno's book or by going to a seminar. Once I realised (thanks to the encouragement of those on this forum) that it's a long drawn out process, or at least, it can be, then I relaxed into it a bit more.

I think trying to go it alone without pain medication can sometimes be another symptom of the TMS - of not being kind to yourself. I've since found that after I stopped seeing the medication as a evil and associating it with failing, paradoxically, I haven't needed it as much. Hopefully this can be your experience too.

Ellen likes this.
  3. resilient

resilient New Member

That makes sense to me! You are right, I should not think of it as failing! Thank you so much.