1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is it the Flu or TMS? Looking for Advice/Support

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by AutumnIsMyFave, May 6, 2018.

1. AutumnIsMyFave

AutumnIsMyFave Peer Supporter

I've gotten some wonderful support and insight from some amazing people on this forum. I am once again looking for some much needed insight.

I came down with what I thought was just a cold last week. By Thursday I had a fever and then the body pain started. The pain was in my low back, hips and all down my legs and was an intense ache. I have had pain in all of these places before - my low back pain is the reason I discovered the work of John Sarno. This pain felt a bit different than the usual pain though.

By yesterday I thought I was on the upswing. My fever was gone and most of the pain was too. However when I woke up this morning the pain in my low back and legs was back. The pain is mostly focused in my low back now. My fever has not returned, however I have heard that the flu can make you feel almost better and then knock you back down and feel crummy again.

I should also mention that I just returned back to work 3 weeks ago (a job that I strongly dislike) after being on leave for a year and a half.

I have no doubt that I am sick - I have congestion, a cough, had a fever until yesterday, etc., so I know I likely have the flu. I just really struggle (almost always, not just in this instance) with knowing what is "real" vs. what is TMS. I am currently feeling very anxious and don't know how to know what pain is most likely from the flu vs. what pain is TMS. Yesterday when I got out of bed and realized my back didn't hurt anymore I thought my answer was easy, but unfortunately it's not.

Of course now my brain is trying to take me into the what if, anxious, fearful state that it likes to go and I am trying very hard not to go there. The "what if my back get so bad that I have a major relapse and can't work right after coming back from leave?", etc, etc, etc. I am aware of this and trying to work through it.

Any help, insight, or wisdom from any of you would be very appreciated!

Thank you!!

2. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Your body needs time to recover from being sick. Don't try and control it, just rest and recover and realize everybody needs time to recover from illness. Your body is signaling you to be gentle on yourself and rest. If you try to fight it the illness might linger. This is normal and this too shall pass. Your body might be sore again because you pushed yourself too hard on the day that it wasn't sore before you had recovered enough.

Gigalos likes this.
  3. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

I got the flu this year and my body felt like you describe. I also had some doubts and fears about certain symptoms that lingered after my fever (pain in my back, weakness), so I understand how you feel. In my case it all disappeared after a couple of days, but I remember having to remind myself to keep calm and not dramatize at certain moments.
    The virus that creates havoc this year is a pretty nasty one and many people need weeks rather than days to recover from it, with ups and downs in between.
    You could call your GP to hear his/her opinion, that's what they are there for.

4. AutumnIsMyFave

AutumnIsMyFave Peer Supporter

Thank you EileenS and Gigalos for your insight. I do need to remember to be kinder and gentler with myself. This flu is a nasty one and I am still not feeling back to normal yet. I feel like for me I often struggle with knowing the difference between "real" symptoms and TMS.