1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Is it a trigger?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by kimaya, Jul 12, 2018.

1. kimaya

kimaya Peer Supporter

I don’t have any food or exercise triggers like alot of people here but i have something which i might think is conditioned fear so i have pain before peeing sometimes and i have noticed if i have pressure to go the pain is rarely present but if i go wihout pressure eg before sleeping i sometimes feel the pain so i make sure whenever i feel the need to go i drink 2 glassses of water and wait half an hour before going so that no pain occurs
    Is it a kind of trigger my mind has developed?
    Also i have a alot of fear associated with this condition

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi kimaya:

I reviewed the other thread you started about all this, and I am not going to talk about your symptoms, because you spent plenty of time obsessing about them there, after you also described all the tests and exams you've already had, which seem to have ruled out anything actually physiologically wrong.

Your biggest problem seems to be that your fearful primitive brain is in complete control of your life.

Here is what your primitive brain is having you do in order to keep you in fear:
    - wasting time obsessively googling your symptoms
    - wasting time obsessively comparing your symptoms with other people
    - wasting time describing your particular unique symptoms in a lot of detail

All of these activities make your primitive fearful brain very happy, because that's time you are NOT spending trying to get to the bottom of your fear and anxiety! It wants you to remain fearful, because it thinks (remember, this is very primitive thinking) that if you're not in fear, you won't survive. This mechanism worked okay in the early primitive world where there actually were physical dangers every day, but it simply doesn't work in the modern world - and in some people, this mechanism goes into obsessive overdrive. I'm sorry to say that your situation is a really good example of this. Thankfully, you found this forum, so give yourself credit for that!

Someone already gave you the very good advice to start doing one of our programs, but I don't see any indication that you have done that. Please start working on the Structured Educational Program! It's free, and it's on our wiki, and it gives you opportunities to post responses to each day's work here on the forum.

You need to break your obsessive cycle, so I have a piece of advice to get you started: from now on, whenever you post on the forum (and we hope that you do!) do NOT describe your symptoms. Starting right now, you need to concentrate on the psychological, and reject the physical. When you post and you need to mention symptoms, just say something very short and generic - I suggest using the phrase "urinary symptoms" and leave it at that.

Again, give yourself credit for having found this forum, and start working on loving yourself enough to feel that you deserve to recover. Self-acceptance is a hugely important part of doing this work. Fighting against your primitive brain is another important part.

This community is here to support you as you progress.

And, by the way, if it has not already been recommended, please pick up a copy of Hope & Help For Your Nerves by Claire Weekes - it is a very small book, and very easy to read, yet it is the #1 book for anxiety, as many of us can attest.

Good luck, kimaya - and keep us posted, okay?

~Jan

Lizzy, Gigi and Asherman27 like this.
  3. kimaya

kimaya Peer Supporter

That reply was on point literally a reality check i do think my brain is stuck is fear cycle as due to health anxiety before this forum i googled alot and read alot of horror stories so whenever i get a symptom or twinge my brain goes on to remember that girl in that forum had the same symptom and she got worse
    My brain is basically stuck in fear cycle and iam finding it very difficult to break after i have traumatised my brain from all those forums for months also i have started sep iam on day 16 though iam not regular with it i skip some days
    It’s really difficult for me to believe i can heal myself as iam very dependent i always need someone to hold on to
    My parents don’t give importance to mental health as such so iam trying to save my pocket money to get to a physiologist as there is on tms therapist here
    I do sometimes feel very alone and stuck in this situation i also compare it to other people iam around like why on the earth I deserve it .
    I do give myself some credit though iam at a better place from what i was a month before not physically but definitely emotionally
    That reply was very important for me thank you so much for finding time to help others
    I don’t know i do sometimes feel lost but i think that’s the process of finding myself

JanAtheCPA and Lizzy like this.
  4. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Kimaya,
    I want to second what Jan has advised. Good for you that you are doing the SEP, and it is okay that it takes longer than 30 days.

Hope and Help for your Nerves is a wonderful book that will really show you the way. Dr Weekes talks about that while it is helpful to have support from your doctor and family, it isn't necessary for you to recover and she will show you how. She is fantastic.

Also, I wanted to compliment you on your response to Jan. You didn't talk symptoms

Lizzy

JanAtheCPA likes this.